Match Reports 2019/2020

Burgess Hill Town 7 Hythe Town 2

BetVictor Isthmian League South East

Saturday 17th August 2019


It is hard to draw any positives out of Hythe Town’s 7-2 drubbing at Burgess Hill Town on Saturday.


The first quarter of an hour saw both sides slowly settling down before former Cannon Ryan Palmer crossed to Pat Harding who turned and shot but was denied by a fine save from Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls. Hythe immediately had their first effort as Frannie Collin played the ball through to Tom Carlton who sent his attempt well wide of the target. Hythe had another opportunity but again failed to hit the target as Luke Blewden scooped the ball over the bar. The Hillians were ahead on 25 minutes as Palmer threaded the ball through to Warren Mufula who planted his shot in the corner of the net.


Things got worse for Hythe within three minutes as the defence failed to clear a cross and Max Miller slotted home to make it 2-0. Hythe had a chance to narrow the gap on 36 minutes as Carlton played in a deep cross that was headed just over by Sid Sollis. Hythe were indebted to Ryan Cooper who superbly tackled Miller when he broke through and then on 40 minutes Hythe came right back into the game as Carlton worked his way through with his final shot from 20 yards placed neatly in the corner of the net to bring the score back to 2-1. However, the hosts continued to look the more dangerous as Mufula had a shot that was deflected for a corner and then on the stroke of half-time a cross from Noe Vendrells found Miller who was unmarked in the area and he was able to finish from close range.


Hythe had the first opportunity of the second period on 56 minutes as a Charlie Webster cross from the left found Blewden but his header went just over the bar. However, Burgess Hill again found frailties in the Hythe defence a minute later as Aaron Smith-Joseph went down the right and crossed into Miller who again was in the clear and sent the ball home to make it four and complete his hat-trick. Another cross three minutes later found Mufula who tapped in to pile the misery on the visitors. Hythe did have a couple of opportunities to limit the damage as firstly Carlton played the ball through to Collin who fired wide and then substitute Adam Woollcott found Carlton who hooked the ball over.


On 73 minutes the Hillians rubbed further salt into the Hythe wounds as Mufula completed his hat-trick when he placed the ball into the net and then on 88 minutes, he scored his fourth and the hosts seventh as he got on the end of a looped cross and again hit the target. However, there was one last effort from Hythe as Collin was brought down by home goalkeeper Billy Collings. Up stepped, Collin whose penalty was planted perfectly into the corner of the net just out of the reach of Collings to make it 7-2 but it was scant consolation for a poor Hythe performance.


The Cannons will need to regroup quickly as they prepare for a home league game on Tuesday evening (20th August 2019) against Whitstable Town. Kick-off is 7:45pm at Reachfields.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Charlie Webster, Chris Kinnear, Ben Fitchett, Ollie Rowe, Elliott Capel (Adam Woollcott 61 mins, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Sid Sollis (Stephen Okoh 61 mins), Luke Blewden (Rhys Bartlett 76 mins).


Scorers: Burgess Hill Town - Warren Mufula 25, 60, 73, & 78 mins. Max Miller 28, 45, & 57 mins. Hythe Town - Tom Carlton 40 mins, Frannie Collin 90+3mins (pen).



Attendance: 348

Hythe Town 1 Tilbury 1

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 10th August 2019


Hythe Town and Tilbury fought out a 1-1 draw in the Cannons final Pre-Season on a blustery afternoon at Reachfields.


It was the visitors who were first to settle as after only four minutes Toby Aromolaran blasted over the bar from just outside the area and then Charlie Webster had to be at this best to block Ola Ogunwamide as he broke through. The hosts had to wait until the 16th minute for their first effort as Frannie Collin sent in a free kick from 25 yards that Tilbury keeper Connor Wheatley had to palm away.  The Dockers had another chance on 23 minutes as George Sykes laid the ball off to Aromolaran in space but he mishit his final shot wide of the target.


Hythe were ahead on 25 minutes as Luke Blewden attempted a shot that fell to Chris Kinnear who hooked the ball home from close range. One more chance for Tilbury before the break saw a cross from Ryan Boswell met by Oli Spooner who looped the ball over the bar.


Hythe looked the more likely at the start of the second half as Tom Carlton played the ball through to Collin whose shot was saved to his right by Wheatley.  However, as the half-progressed Tilbury looked the more dangerous as on 55 minutes Spooner broke through on the right-hand side but his final attempt was well saved by Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls. Within sixty seconds Nicholls saved well again as he palmed the ball around the post from a shot on the turn by Charlie Kendall.


Kendall was in the action again on 58 minutes as the Hythe defence failed to clear the ball and the Tilbury midfielder picked up the ball and fired home to bring the scores level. Carlton had the opportunity to put Hythe back in the lead but as he surged forward his effort lacked power and was easily collected by Wheatley.  Tilbury continued to threaten as Ogunwamide scooped the ball over the bar. At the other end Callum Taylor sent through a searching long ball from the back through to Collin who attempted to chip the ball over Wheatley but the ball drifted wide.


Before the end both sides had one more opportunity with the first falling to the Dockers as a looping ball through from Kendall found Sykes who headed wide and then with four minutes left on the clock Ryan Boswell didn’t clear well and the ball fell to Tom Walmsley but the Hythe youngster sent his shot wide.


Both sides had to settle for a draw as they both prepare for the season’s start next Saturday. Hythe will be at Burgess Hill Town with a 3pm kick off.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper (Ben Fitchett 54 mins), Charlie Webster, Chris Kinnear, Ollie Rowe, Callum Taylor, Elliott Capel, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Luke Blewden (Rhys Bartlett 66 mins), Stephen Okoh (Tom Walmsley 77 mins).


Scorers: Hythe Town - Chris Kinnear 25 mins. Tilbury - Charlie Kendall 58 mins.



Attendance: 119

South Park 1 Hythe Town 1

Pre Season Friendly

Tuesday 6th August 2019


Hythe had substitute Rhys Bartlett to thank as they snatched a 1-1 draw at South Park on Tuesday evening.


It was the hosts who had the first opportunity on fourteen minutes as a neat move ended with a shot being sent wide of the target. Hythe had their first effort on seventeen minutes as Ollie Rowe crossed over to Sid Sollis who headed over the target. This was followed quickly by a rasping Frannie Collin shot that stung the hands of the South Park keeper who parried the ball away. Collin was in the action again when a poor clearance led to the Hythe striker attempting a lob from 30 yards but the ball just had a little too much power and went just over the bar.


For the rest of the half South Park looked the more likely as they sent two attempts wide firstly from a header and then a searching run ended with a shot with the same result. At the other end a Sollis cross was headed into the keeper’s arms by Luke Blewden. South Park were struggling to find the target as another shot went wide before Hythe had the last chance of the half as Collin played the ball into Sollis but he couldn’t quite get enough on the ball to threaten the home goal.


Hythe looked brighter in the second half with an early effort as Tom Carlton crossed to Chris Kinnear who headed just wide. Hythe were now having the vast majority of the chances with the defence led by Rowe and Ben Fitchett snuffing out the South Park attack. Blewden was next to create as a deep cross was met by the head of Sollis but the keeper had it covered. The Cannons did have the ball in the net on 69 minutes as Carlton got the ball through to Rowe who fired home but the referee’s assistant was flagging for offside. A speculative shot from Sollis followed that drifted just wide.


With their first meaningful attack of the half on 83 minutes South Park took the lead as substitute Charlie Pitcher broke through and planted the ball neatly into the bottom left hand corner of the net giving Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls no chance. However, Hythe fought back and with seconds to go on the clock Carlton crossed over to Bartlett who fired home from close range.


It had been a useful workout for the Cannons as they prepare for Saturday’s last pre-season fixture against Tilbury at Reachfields. Kick-off is 3pm


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Charlie Webster, Chris Kinnear, Ben Fitchett, Ollie Rowe, Elliott Capel, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Luke Blewden, Sid Sollis. Sub Used: Rhys Bartlett.


Scorers: South Park - Charlie Pitcher 83 mins. Hythe Town - Rhys Bartlett 90 mins.


Attendance: Approx 40

Margate 5 Hythe Town 2

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 3rd August 2019


Hythe Town suffered a heavy defeat as Margate scored three times in the last 30 minutes to win 5-2 at Hartsdown Park on Saturday afternoon.


The game started evenly with the first opportunity coming from Margate in the first minute as the busy Kadell Daniel sent in a shot from 25 yards that was held by Cannon’s keeper Ryan Nicholls. Hythe had their first attempt on nine minutes as Frannie Collin played the ball onto Luke Blewden whose final effort from close range was blocked. There were chances coming at both ends as Michael Abnett, off balance, blasted over the bar and then at the other end a Tom Carlton cross found Blewden but his flick was deflected for a corner.


The Cannons took the lead on 20 minutes as a cross from Ollie Rowe from the right was fumbled by Margate keeper Jon Miles under pressure. The ball crossed the line and the Cannons were ahead.  A couple of efforts came for Daniel as Margate tried to get back into the game. Firstly, he worked his way into a shooting position before slamming the ball against the upright and then he mishit a shot wide following a melee in the Hythe penalty area. An excellent move followed from the visitors when a pin point ball from Collin in his own half found Blewden who fed Ryan Cooper but he fired over.


“The Gate” were level on 36 minutes as Daniel finally found the target as he broke through and planted his shot into the corner of the net. Margate were to hit the post for the second time as Adem Ramadan sent in a shot. On 43 minutes the hosts were to take the lead as Margate were awarded a free kick just on the edge of the penalty area. Jack Richards curled the kick over the ball and into the part of the net not guarded by Nicholls. One more chance for Hythe before half-time saw Collin send in a deep corner that Blewden headed wide at the far post.


The second half started with the Premier Division side taking the initiative as one of the unnamed substitutes took his time and sent his final effort dipping just over the bar. This was followed by a corner from Daniel that was headed down by Ramaden forcing a good save from Nicholls. On the hour Hythe were level as a Cooper cross was met by Carlton running in to place his shot into the net. However, the Cannons were only to have parity for two minutes as the ball came into the Hythe penalty area with the referee noticing an infringement, he pointed to the spot. Up stepped Daniel who planted the ball into the net.


On 77 minutes “The Gate” extended their lead as Richards cut across the edge of the area and finished clinically. Margate were totally in control as substitute Eze Ebazoeme’s effort lacked power being easily saved by Nicholls. However, Margate got their fifth on 87 minutes as Jordan Ababio finished off well to put the “icing on the cake”. A couple of opportunities for Hythe to get a consolation saw Carlton firstly denied by Miles in the Margate goal and then he fired over.  


It was a useful workout as Sam Denly continues to look how the league side will be made up in a fortnight’s time. Hythe are away at South Park on Tuesday evening with a 7:45pm kick off in another pre-season fixture.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Michael Oshin, Adam Woollcott, Ben Fitchett, Ollie Rowe, Stephen Okoh, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Luke Blewden. Charlie Webster.  Subs Used: Chris Kinnear, Elliot Capel, Rhys Bartlett, Tom Walmsley.


Scorers: Margate - Kadell Daniel 36 & 62 mins, Jack Richards 43 & 77 mins, Jordan Ababio 87 mins. Hythe Town - Ollie Rowe 20 mins, Tom Carlton 60 mins.



Attendance: 234

Hythe Town 5 New Romney 3

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 30th July 2019


It was a game of two halves as Hythe ran up a five-goal half time lead only to be pegged back in the second half as they won 5-3 at home to New Romney on Tuesday evening.


The first half was totally dominated by the hosts and they took the lead after on 30 seconds as the referee pointed to the spot for handball. Up stepped Frannie Collin who sent New Romney keeper and ex-Cannon Paul Egan the wrong way and planted his spot kick into the net. Hythe were two up after only six minutes. Ryan Cooper played the ball into Tom Carlton who slid the ball home.


Carlton nearly got a second when he forced Egan into a great save before two goals in a minute increased the Cannons lead. Firstly, Tom Walmsley put in a cross from the right that Collin tucked away into the net on 20 minutes. Within sixty seconds a similar move saw Walmsley put the ball in from the right pulling the ball back to Carlton who side-footed the ball home. On 35 minutes, Hythe were five ahead as Carlton completed his hat-trick as he buried a free-kick from just outside into the corner of the net.


With numerous second half changes, the balance of the hosts seemed to be affected and New Romney narrowed the gap on 47 minutes. Reece Mortimer broke through finding himself one on one with Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls. He calmly lobbed the ball over the keeper and into the net. A notable effort for Hythe on 52 minutes that saw a thunderous shot from Ben Fitchett smash against upright. With a quarter of an hour to go the gap was narrowed as Reece Palmer slotted home from a deep cross and then on 87 minutes Wayne Rogers it 5-3 as he headed in at the far post.


It was good work out for the Cannons in front of a healthy crowd of 193. Hythe continue their pre-season programme on Saturday as they visit Margate on Saturday (3rd August 2019) with 3 pm kick off.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Michael Oshin, Elliott Capel, Ben Fitchett, Finn Smith, Charlie Webster, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Tom Walmsley, Rhys Bartlett. Subs used: Chris Kinnear, Sid Sollis, Luke Blewden, Arthur Pickering, Jude Harding, Joe Theze, Josh Eka, Sam Owens.


Scorers: Hythe Town - Frannie Collin 1 & 20 mins, Tom Carlton 6, 21 & 35 mins. New Romney – Reece Mortimer 47 mins, Reece Palmer 75 mins, Wayne Rogers 87 mins.



Attendance 193 

Hythe Town 0 Aveley 0

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 27th July 2019


Hythe Town and Aveley fought out a 0-0 pre-season draw at a damp Reachfields on Saturday afternoon.


It was Aveley who were the first to settle creating the first two chances as firstly a curling shot from Jason Raad went just over the bar and then Richard Seixas was denied by an excellent one handed save from close range by Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls who clawed the ball away.  The Cannons had to wait until the tenth minute for their first effort as a shot from Sid Sollis from 25 yards was deflected wide. It was still the visitors who looked the more dangerous as Alex Akofri tried to chip the ball over Nicholls but it was not on target and went wide.


As the half progressed, Hythe began to assert themselves on the game as a deep cross from Adam Woollcott nearly found Luke Blewden who couldn’t get enough to the ball to divert it towards goal. Woollcott was in the action again on 30 minutes as his shot was parried by Aveley keeper David Hughes with ball coming out to Sollis who drove his attempt over the bar.  Hythe kept the pressure on as Aaron Simpson played the ball into Blewden whose final effort went just over the bar. One more attempt before half-time for the visitors saw a long range shot from Raad go over the bar.


The second half started with Tom Carlton firing in a free-kick that was headed over by Ben Fitchett. A couple of chances followed at the other end as firstly a snap shot from Seixas went just wide and then a rasping effort from Wyan Reid was saved well by Nicholls. Bobby Vaughan was then to fire just over the bar. A neat move followed from the Cannons as Frannie Collin played the ball onto the impressive Ryan Cooper who got it back to Elliot Capel whose final effort was blocked. On 65 minutes Aveley had a chance as a drive from Seixas was held by Nicholls.


The final ten minutes saw three opportunities for the hosts as Izzy Miyake played the ball across to Carlton. He fed Collin who found the net but was in an offside position and the goal was disallowed. Rhys Bartlett then crossed from the left and Collin headed wide. The final chance came two minutes from time as Carlton broke through but his final effort was sent wide of the target.


The final result was a fair reflection of the game. Hythe have another fixture on Tuesday evening (30th July 2019) as they entertain New Romney in another pre-season fixture. Kick off is 7:45pm.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Elliott Capel, Ross Ibbotson, Callum Taylor, Ben Fitchett, Adam Woollcott, Tom Carlton, Sid Sollis, Luke Blewden, Aaron Simpson. Subs Used: Frannie Collin, Tom Walmsley, Charlie Webster, Michael Oshin, Izzy Miyake, Rhys Bartlett.



Attendance: 117. 

Hollands & Blair 3 Hythe Town 2

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 23rd July 2019


Southern Counties East, Hollands & Blair came from behind to beat Hythe Town 3-2 at a hot and sunny Star Meadow on Tuesday evening.


It was the Cannons who were first to threaten as in the fourth minute a cross from the right from Ryan Cooper was headed against the cross bar by Luke Blewden.  Blair were to create their first opportunity on seven minutes as Louis Valencia had a shot deflected wide by Cannons defender Ben Fitchett. On ten minutes Blair had another effort that saw Harry Goodger head over the bar.  Finally, Hythe broke the deadlock on 21 minutes as Frannie Collin broke through but his attempt was deflected to Blewden who stroked the ball home.


On 30 minutes the hosts were level as Jack Simon played the ball into Goodger who beat the Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls to the ball to get it into the net. Within a two-minute period Hythe had two chances in quick succession as firstly Aaron Simpson shot across the face of goal with a deflection that sent the ball away for a corner and then Simpson laid the ball off to Cooper whose shot was also deflected wide. Simpson was in the action again when he forced a save from Blair keeper Richard Stroud.


Hythe regained the lead on 52 minutes as Charlie Webster had a shot fumbled by Stroud with Collin following up to make it 2-1. With 60 seconds Blair had an opportunity to bring the scores level but Goodger sliced a shot wide. Substitute, Sid Sollis was to rattle the upright with rasping shot and then a snapshot from Rhys Bartlett flew into the arms of Stroud. As the second-half progressed it was the hosts who began to look the more threatening and they were level on 74 minutes as a corner from Simon was met by Callum McGeehan whose header gave Nicholls no chance.


Blair now looked the more likely as Callum Bearman-Dyce broke through but his rasping shot drifted just wide. The hosts got the winner with ten minutes to go as substitute Ethan Stewart ran through and fired home. With five minutes to go Sollis had one last effort to bring the scores level but his effort from 25 yards went wide.


Hythe’s next fixture is at home to Aveley on Saturday afternoon. Kick-off is 3 pm.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Michael Oshin, Charlie Webster, Ben Fitchett, Callum Taylor, Elliott Capel, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Luke Blewden, Aaron Simpson.  Subs Used: Tom Walmsley, Sid Sollis, Rhys Bartlett, Adam Woollcott, Izzy Miyake, Ross Ibbotson.


Scorers: Hollands & Blair - Harry Goodger 30 mins, Callum McGeehan 74 mins, Ethan Stewart 80 mins. Hythe Town - Luke Blewden 21 mins, Frannie Collin 52 mins.


Attendance: 101

Hythe Town 3 Folkestone Invicta 2

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 20th July 2019


Hythe Town earned the local bragging rights as they turned out 3-2 winners in a keenly fought local pre-season friendly against Folkestone Invicta on Saturday afternoon at Reachfields.


It was Invicta who started the brighter and had their first opportunity on five minutes as a Finn O’Mara cross was met by the head of Josh Vincent but he sent the ball high over the bar. With the chances coming predominantly from the visitors, Scott Heard was next to threaten as he had two shots in quick succession with the first going over the cross bar and then an attempt that was easily saved by Hythe keeper Ryan Nicholls. Former Cannon, Jerson Dos Santos was next to become involved as he laid the ball off to Ian Draycott but his effort went wide.


The Invicta pressure paid off in the 20th minute as O’Mara sent in a deep cross to Vincent, who got the ball to Dos Santos. The striker neatly placed his shot past Nicholls into the left-hand corner of the net. Invicta continued to dominate as Dos Santos slid the ball just past the right-hand post and then Draycott made space but sent the ball wide.


As the game progressed Hythe slowly began to get back into the game as the first meaningful attempt saw Frannie Collin send a free kick from edge of the area into the arms of Folkestone keeper Tim Roberts. Aaron Simpson was to be involved in the next move for Hythe with Ryan Cooper which ended with the former sending his shot just wide. One last chance in the half for Invicta saw Dos Santos creating space but his final shot lacked pace and rolled into the arms of Nicholls.


The second half belonged to the hosts despite the first opportunity coming for Folkestone’s Ira Jackson who shot straight at Nicholls. The next move saw a neat interchange between Sid Sollis and Collin whose effort went just wide. On 56 minutes Simpson leapt on a mix-up in the Folkestone defence and slotted his shot into the corner of the net past Roberts. Two opportunities then followed for the visitors as Johan Ter Horst laid the ball off to Alfie Paxman but he sent the ball over the bar and then Paxman was involved again as he cut in from the left but his effort deflected off Cooper and Nicholls for a corner.


On 64 minutes the Cannons were ahead as a Cooper cross found its way to the nearside where Collin’s ball back across the box found O’Mara under pressure from Sollis turning the ball into his own net. Hythe were now totally on top as Tom Carlton played the ball out to Sollis whose dipping shot went just over the bar and then Carlton was involved again as his free kick was met by the head of Rhys Bartlett but the effort went just over the top. On 81 minutes Hythe got their third as Carlton threaded the ball through to Bartlett who rounded Roberts to place his shot into an empty net.


Folkestone were to narrow the gap in the 86th minute as Jackson laid the ball off to Paxman who from 25 yards gave substitute Hythe keeper Alistair Carney no chance. One more opportunity for each side before the end as firstly Tom Carlton surged through but sent his shot with the inside of his foot over the bar and then right on the stroke of full time Nat Blanks hooked the ball over the bar for the visitors.


Hythe held on for a deserved victory in a performance that is very encouraging for the upcoming season. They now visit Hollands & Blair on Tuesday night for another friendly fixture before returning to Reachfields next Saturday for a game against Aveley.


Team: Ryan Nicholls, Ryan Cooper, Michael Oshin, Adam Woollcott, Ryan Johnson, Ben Fitchett, Charlie Webster, Tom Carlton, Frannie Collin, Sid Sollis, Aaron Simpson. Subs Used Callum Taylor, Tom Walmsley, Jude Harding, Arthur Pickering, Rhys Bartlett, Alistair Carney.


Scorers: Hythe Town - Aaron Simpson 56 mins, Finn O’Mara (OG) 64 mins, Rhys Bartlett 81 mins. Folkestone Invicta - Jerson Dos Santos 20 mins, Alfie Paxman 86 mins.


Attendance: 402