Match Reports 2020-2021

Hythe Town 3 Burgess Hill Town 2

Pitching In Isthmian League South East

Saturday 19th September 2020


On Saturday afternoon, Hythe were back at Reachfields to play Burgess Hill Town. In last season’s opening fixture, Hythe were thrashed 7-2 by the same opponents. This time, Hythe came out victorious after a late winner.


In the matchday programme, manager Steve Watt said that he was ‘disappointed with the overall performance last week’. Hythe made two changes from that defeat against South Park, with new signing Patrick Lee and Tom Walmsley coming in for Ryan Nicholls and Alex Brown. Last week’s goal scorer, Nathan Gordon, was left out of the squad due to injury, with Will Godmon also on the injury table, and Alex Flisher suspended.


The game got off to a perfect start for Hythe. Tom Wynter played the ball out wide to Kane Phillip, who made a run down the left-hand side of the pitch into the penalty area. He looked to be in a position to cross, but he caught out the defence, ghosting past them and taking a shot which sneaked in past Hillians keeper Josh James. Many of the early chances also fell to Hythe, with a ball into the box from Liam Smith headed away by the defence. Burgess Hill won a free-kick from Darren Oldaker on the edge of the box, with Alex Laing crossing into Scott Kirkwood, whose header went wide of the post. They won another free-kick a few minutes later, with the ball from impressive left-back Martyn Box headed across the face of goal by Nathan Cooper.


The Hillians eventually levelled the scores. On the half-hour mark, Alex Laing took a shot from outside the box which beat Patrick Lee. Hythe thought they had re-taken the lead a minute later, with a corner from Darren Oldaker headed into the back of the net by Tom Wynter. However, the linesman held up the offside flag. Another corner shortly after from Oldaker was headed on by Dean Beckwith, with Jordi Ndozid scooping the ball off the line for Burgess Hill for yet another corner. This time, the ball trickled near the goal and was cleared, and almost immediately after, Frannie Collin sent the ball into Kane Phillip, who’s downward header bounced off the crossbar and was cleared.


Just before the break, there was a small brawl, in which Alex Laing shoved into James Rogers, which lead Liam Smith to shove into Laing. The referee broke it up, awarding Smith a yellow card. For a moment, Laing thought he’d gotten away scot-free, before the linesman reported him to the referee, who went back over to Laing and gave him a booking too.


The second period started with an early flurry of chances for both teams. Hillian Scott Kirkwood hooked the ball across the face of the Hythe goal, before a shot from Kane Phillip was blocked. Then, on 49 minutes, Charlie Webster sent the ball into Phillip, who was unmarked, and had no trouble in heading the ball into an almost empty net.


The game went a little quiet for a while until the 66th minute, when Tom Walmsley went one-on-one with keeper Josh James, who grabbed the ball from his feet. A cross into the box for Kaka Dembele was tackled away shortly after. The Hillians created a number of chances after, with substitute Charlie Bennett heading past the post from an offside position, and Reece Williams-Bowers also missing from an offside position.


A free-kick just outside the box from Williams-Bowers was saved by Patrick Lee, before a Burgess Hill shot was deflected by Alex Brown, with the ball being cleared just after it crossed the line to give Burgess Hill a precious equaliser on 83 minutes.


Both teams created late chances, with a free-kick from Box headed away for a corner by Rogers. A ball from Alex Brown into Frannie Collin was saved by Josh James, before a lifted ball from Dean Beckwith into Alex Brown was tackled away by the defence. Finally, Hythe created one last chance. In the dying minutes of the game, Tom Walmsley put an excellent ball into the box for Frannie Collin, who headed it into the net to give Hythe their first win of the season.


Next weekend, Hythe are back at Reachfields at home to Chalfont St Peter in the FA Trophy with kick-off at 3pm.


Team: Patrick Lee, Liam Smith, Kaka Dembele, James Rogers, Dean Beackwith, Tom Wynter, Charlie Webster, Darren Oldaker (Alex Brown 75 mins), Tom Walmsley, Frannie Collin (Morgan Williamson 90 mins), Kane Phillip (Ross Ibbertson 60 mins)


Scorers: Hythe Town-Kane Phillip 7 & 49 mins, Frannie Collin 90 mins. Burgess Hill Town-Alex Laing 30 mins, Alex Brown (OG) 83 mins. 


Attendance: 161


Rerport by Tom Ellerby

Hythe Town 1 South Park 2

Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

Saturday 12th September 2020


On Saturday afternoon, Hythe were knocked out of the FA Cup by South Park, losing 2-1 at Reachfields.


Hythe made four changes from their friendly against Aveley, with Ryan Nicholls going in goal to replace the injured Will Godmon. Charlie Webster, Frannie Collin and Kane Phillip were also put in the line-up, with Paul Booth, Tom Walmsley and Connor Cheek making way. South Park did have one familiar face in their team. Nassim Dukali, who made a couple of appearances back in the 2018-19 season, was an unused substitute.


Hythe had the best of the early chances. In the first minute, captain Charlie Webster made a run into the penalty area, but took a few to many touches as the ball went out for a goal-kick. Just two minutes after, a ball in from Kaka Dembele, who had started at left-back, put a good ball into the box, which was fumbled by Sparks keeper Craig Bradshaw, and quickly cleared just in time before Kane Phillip could get a touch. A few minutes later, Darren Oldaker, who worked very hard during the match, fed the ball into Charlie Webster, whose shot from inside the penalty area went just wide of the post.


After 21 minutes, Kane Phillip, who put in a great first-half performance, received the ball on the right-hand side, and looked to cross into the box, but found nobody waiting. The ball was blocked and cleared by the South Park defence. Just after the half-hour mark, Dean Beckwith, a new signing from Havant and Waterlooville, played a lovely through ball into Kane Phillip, who put Alex Brown, who started up front, one-on-one with Bradshaw, who blocked the ball away for a corner. The final significant chance before half-time went to South Park. Leon Lalor-Dell went for a shot from a tight angle, with Ryan Nicholls blocking it for a corner.

Both teams began the second half unchanged. The first chance of the second half came to Hythe, with Frannie Collin’s ball into the box headed wide from Kane Phillip, with the linesman indicating he was offside a few seconds later. Unfortunately, Hythe went behind on 51 minutes, despite being the better side, with Connor French making a run into the box and firing past Ryan Nicholls to give South Park the lead. A few minutes later, Hythe had not one but two penalty shouts, with both James Rogers and Alex Brown being brought down in the box. The referee controversially waved away the penalty shouts. Sparks came forward on the counter attack immediately after, with Lalor-Dell’s ball into the box missing his teammates.


Hythe made two substitutions after, with Tom Walmsley and Nathan Gordon replacing Alex Brown and Kane Phillip. Walmsley was immediately involved in the action, running down the left-hand side and getting the opportunity to cross, but taking far too many touches and playing the ball back to the defence. Hythe won a free-kick just outside the box, with Frannie Collin deflecting the ball into the wall, with Bradshaw making an easy save.


On 67 minutes, Lalor-Dell came forward on the break, getting one-on-one with Ryan Nicholls and putting South Park two goals up. A few minutes later, another Frannie Collin free-kick was saved by Bradshaw, who had to get down to his bottom-right hand corner to push the ball away, and immediately after, he attempted an overhead kick, which bounced off the crossbar. Kaka Dembele had a chance just outside the box, getting too much under the ball and firing over the bar.


Hythe made their final change, with veteran Paul Booth replacing Charlie Webster. Frannie Collin had another free-kick, which was once again blocked. Luckily, Hythe managed to pull a goal back. Nathan Gordon made his way into the box, firing past the keeper to put Hythe back in the game. Hythe had one notable late chance, with Liam Smith’s ball into the box beating both the keeper and the Hythe attackers.


The referee blew the whistle after four minutes of added time. Once again, Hythe’s hopes of having a cup run had been dashed.


The Cannons are due to entertain Burgess Hill Town next Saturday (19th September) with a 3pm kick off in the opening Pitching In Isthmian League South East fixture of the season.




Team : Ryan Nicholls, Liam Smith, Kaka Dembele, James Rogers, Dean Beckwith, Tom Wynter, Charlie Webster (Paul Booth 80 mins), Darren Oldaker, Alex Brown (Nathan Gordon 62 mins), Frannie Collin, Kane Phillip (Tom Walmsley 62 mins).


Scorers: Hythe Town - Nathan Gordon 81 mins. South Park - Connor French 51 mins, Leon Lalor-Dell 67 mins.


Attendance 163

Aveley 2 Hythe Town 0

Pre-season Friendly

Saturday 5th September 2020


Hythe, who were without eight first team regulars, went down 2-0 at Aveley on a sunny Saturday afternoon in Essex.


It was the Isthmian League North side who took the early initiative with their first opportunity falling on eight minutes as they crashed the ball against the cross bar and then very soon after Hythe man of the match Kaka Dembele was on hand to clear the ball off the line. The early pressure was rewarded on twelve minutes as the hosts took the lead as George Sykes hammered home from the middle of the penalty area.


Paul Booth had the first meaningful attempt for Hythe on 28 minutes as he hit a shot that was gathered easily by the Aveley keeper. Dembele was on hand again to have shot blocked and then fired just wide. However, it was still the hosts who looked the more likely as Wyan Reid sent in a looping shot from the right that Hythe keeper Will Godmon did well to tip over at full stretch.


The second half started badly for the Cannons as they went further behind on 49 minutes when Aveley were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Sykes who sent Godmon the wrong way to make it 2-0.  There was little threat from Hythe to get back in the match with two notable exceptions as Tyrone Guthrie rattled the cross bar on 65 minutes and the in the dying minutes Morgan Williamson had a long-range shot that went just wide.


The Cannons will be looking forward to starting the season proper as they entertain South Park next Saturday (12th September 2020) in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup.


Team: Will Godmon, Connor Cheek, Kaka Dembele, James Rogers, Tom Wynter, Dean Beckwith, Liam Smith, Darren Oldaker, Tom Walmsley, Paul Booth, Alex Brown. Subs: Jarrod Trespaderne, Morgan Williamson, Tyrone Guthrie, Sean Agum, Gary Sidley, Bradley Ihionvien,



Scorers: Aveley-George Sykes 12 & 49 mins. 

Hythe Town 0 Dover Athletic 1

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 1st September 2021


On Tuesday evening, Hythe finished their home pre-season programme with a 1-0 defeat at home to Dover.


The Cannons had a fairly recognisable starting line-up, as nine of the eleven players had played for us last season. New signings Connor Cheek and Liam Smith also started.


There were chances for both sides early on, as Dover put a ball into the box which was headed away by Eli Benoit. A shot from Kane Phillip, who re-joined the club from Sittingbourne, fell comfortably for the Dover keeper. On 11 minutes, Dover won a free-kick from Kaka Dembele’s foul just outside the box. However, like many of their set-pieces, they wasted the chance, firing the ball over the bar. There were a few more chances at either end, before the deadlock was broken, as a Dover trialist slotted the ball past Will Godmon right on the half-hour mark.


Once again, Dover won a free-kick just outside the penalty area, with Eli Benoit making the foul, and once again, they hit it over the bar. Hythe managed to get a chance from Connor Cheek, with his header on 39 minutes being caught by the Dover keeper, and Alex Brown’s shot on the edge of the penalty area stung the palms of the goalie.


The second half started fairly quietly, without many notable chances. Kaka Dembele, who was playing on the left wing, had a decent chance, and he came close to an equaliser, with his shot going into the side netting. It wasn’t until the 70th minute when the next notable chance was created, as a shot from one of the Dover players was caught by Will Godmon in the Hythe goal. Kaka Dembele created another good chance, and attempted a shot just outside the box, but ended up kicking the ground instead of the ball. Shortly after, a through ball from Tom Walmsley was blocked and cleared by the Dover defence.


Hythe made a few changes deep into the second half, with Tyrone Guthrie, Bradley Ihionvien, Jarred Trespaderne and Morgan Williamson replacing Alex Brown, Liam Smith, Darren Oldaker and Eli Benoit. The game was very quiet towards the end, with Dover firing yet another shot over the crossbar.


The full-time whistle marked the final pre-season match at Reachfields this season. Unfortunately, both resulted in defeats, however we won two of our four away matches, drawing one and losing the other. We bring our pre-season to a close on Saturday as we travel to Aveley, before returning to Reachfields the following Saturday to play South Park in the FA Cup.


Team: Will Godmon, Liam Smith, James Rogers, Eli Benoit, Tom Wynter, Kane Phillip, Darren Oldaker, Tom Walmsley, Alex Brown, Kaka Dembele, Connor Cheek. Substitutes: Tyrone Guthrie, Bradley Ihionvien, Jarred Trespaderne, Morgan Williamson


Scorer: Dover Athletic – A Trialist 30 mins.

Attendance: 250

Match report by Tom Ellerby


Hythe Town 0 Deal Town 1

Pre-season Friendly

Tuesday 25th August 2020


It was a disappointing night as Deal Town stole the win with a goal in the 68th minute by Troy Howard to deservedly take the win from the game at a windy Reachfields on Tuesday evening.


The game started evenly with the first opportunity coming for the visitors with a shot that went just over the bar after four minutes. Two minutes later the trialist in the Hythe line up nearly rounded the Deal keeper but couldn't get a shot away to threaten. As the half progressed it was the Southern Counties East side who were beginning to take control and had several chances including a shot that curled just wide. As the half came to it’s conclusion Hythe did show some promise having a couple of attacks that could have seen a goal but both sides went in all square.


The second half started with Deal again looking the more likely as they had an attempt that went just wide. At the other end Alex Flisher had a shot blocked by the away keeper. The deadlock was finally broken on 68 minutes as a ball was played in from the right and Howard was on hand to turn the ball in at the near post. Hythe were denied by the Deal keeper on 79 minutes as Darren Oldaker had a shot that that was tipped around the post.


The hosts lacked the killer touch on the evening, and it was Deal who deservedly earned the win. With the Sheppey game now postponed on Saturday, the Cannons are back in action next Tuesday as they host Dover Athletic.


Team: Will Godman, Liam Smith, Eli Beniot, Tom Wynter, Nathan Gordon, James Rogers, Darren Oldaker, Kaka Dembele, Frannie Collin, Charlie Webster, A Trialist. Subs: Ryan Nicholls, Jarred Tresperderne, Alex Brown, Connor Cheek, Kane Phillip, Tyrone Guthrie, Alex Flisher.


Scorer: Deal Town-Troy Howard 68 mins.



Attendance: 100

Hollands & Blair 2 v Hythe Town 2

PSF Behind Closed Doors 

Tuesday 18 August 2020


The Cannons took on Hollands & Blair of the Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division this evening, who were looking to continue their fine form against Isthmian League opposition in recent friendlies, having already seen off Whyteleafe 3-0 away and drawn 2-2 at Cray Wanderers.


On a pleasant, calm evening in Gillingham, Steve Watt’s starting eleven to contest the match on a noticeably sloping pitch was:- Ryan Nicholls; Ross Ibbertson, Joe Denny, Eli Benoit, Liam Smith; Darren Oldaker, James Rogers, Alex Brown; Kane Phillip, Luke Medley, Tom Walmsley.


As early as the 3rd minute Blair’s new signing, the experienced Danny Kedwell, rattled Nicholls right hand post from 20 yards, with the keeper possibly blinded by the low sun shining in his face.


On 12 minutes a cross from the right wing by Walmsley to Brown in the box resulted in a shot comfortably saved by the Blair keeper. Six minutes later an excellent cross field ball from Medley found Walmsley on the edge of the 18 yard area, but his shot cleared the bar.


With Blair playing five across the middle of the park they had plenty of possession and were always looking to cause Hythe problems. In the 20th minute Kedwell had a shot blocked by Benoit, with a follow up shot from Darren Cooper going wide of the post.


On 25 minutes Benoit was in action again, bringing down an advancing Ricky Freeman on the edge of the box. On another day the last man scenario may well have played out, with the Cannons then being down to 10 men, but the referee decided a yellow card was sufficient. The resulting direct free kick by Kedwell beat the defensive wall but was pushed over by Nicholls.


In the 32nd minute Medley did well to create himself a chance in the box, but his shot was blocked. From the resultant Oldaker corner the ball was headed out to Rogers whose 20 yard shot sailed high over the bar. This was probably his “sighting” shot for what was to come later.


Six minutes later Medley showed clever ball control again to create a chance for himself in the Blair box, but his shot went wide of the left-hand post. As the half drew to a close the Cannons kept up the pressure with shots at goal, although just before the whistle blew a defensive slip gave Kedwell an opening, but his shot went over Nicholls crossbar.


At the break Medley was replaced by A. Trialist who was soon causing the home defence problems with his speed and strength in the final third. On 55 minutes Walmsley & Brown made way for Charlie Webster & Frannie Collin and Hythe started to dictate play more in the middle of the park than they had previously, although as the hour mark approached Nicholls had to push a Connor Heffernan shot over the bar.

On 61 minutes Collin received a pass from our Trialist and let fly from 30 yards straight at the keeper. Three minutes later it was Rogers turn to benefit from the Trialist’s pass and, again from 30 yards, he made no mistake, rifling a shot into the back of the net, giving the Blair keeper Adam Highsted no chance. Four minutes later and it was 2 to the Cannons with an almost identical strike from 30 yards by Rogers once again.


On 72 minutes Hythe lost possession outside their own box and Hollands & Blair capitalised with a low shot from Caleb Bearman-Dyce, which evaded Nicholls dive to his right-hand post and brought the home side back into contention.


Oldaker was then replaced by Tyrone Guthrie, as both sides continued to attack without creating clear cut chances, although on 77 minutes Rogers attempted another long-range effort which sadly went nearer to a corner flag than the goal.


Further substitutions followed with Smith, Nicholls, Phillip & Denny being replaced by Kaka Dembele, Will Godmon, Jarred Trespaderne & Connor Cheek.


As the match drew to a close the home side were awarded a free kick just outside the Hythe penalty area. It was expertly taken left footed by Blair’s Darren Cooper and in clearing the wall and beating Godmon, the home side ensured they remained undefeated against Isthmian league opposition in recent days, drawing the match 2-2.


Next up is our first PSF at home, with Deal Town of the Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division being the opposition next Tuesday night, 25th August. 


Margate 0 v Hythe Town 2

PSF Behind Closed Doors

Saturday 15 August 2020


Margate of the Isthmian Premier Division were our amiable hosts today, with Hythe looking to erase the memory of a 5-2 friendly defeat at Hartsdown Park this time last year. Margate’s only pre-season match so far resulted in a 4-0 defeat at Cray Valley PM earlier in the week, so a positive reaction from them was expected.


Conditions were good and thankfully somewhat cooler than had been experienced at Chipstead and Glebe. Steve Watt’s starting eleven was: Will Godmon; Kaka Dembele, Eli Benoit, new signing Liam Smith, Nathan Gordon; Charlie Webster, James Rogers, Darren Oldaker, Kane Phillip; Frannie Collin & A. Trialist.


The first real action occurred in the eighth minute when a Collin direct free kick from around 28 yards was saved at the left-hand post by the Margate keeper. Moments later an Oldaker cross into the penalty area was met perfectly by Collin rising above the home defence and Hythe were 1-0 up.


In the early stages the Margate players seemed to be more concerned with constantly berating the officials instead of concentrating on the job in hand, but in the eleventh minute the Hythe defence did well to block a blue shirted shot on the edge of the six yard box, sending the ball out for a corner.


There followed a period of Hythe pressure with an Oldaker free kick being taken comfortably by the Margate keeper and on 17 minutes the keeper did well to put off our trialist as their bodies clashed and the ball dropped onto the roof of the net.


On 18 minutes the experienced Liam Friend sent a long ball into the Hythe penalty area, only to see a defensive clearance header drift the right side of the post as far as the visitors were concerned and out for a corner.


Moments later the impressive Dembele sent a perfect pass into the stride of our trialist as he entered the Margate penalty area, but his attempt on goal was cleared for a corner.


On 23 minutes Dembele was involved again, superbly controlling a glorious long pass from Beniot and slipping the ball through to the trialist in the box, who saw his shot pushed wide for a corner. A drinks break was then taken. From the subsequent Oldaker corner Beniot unleashed a volley which sailed past the right-hand post.


On 27 Minutes the Margate no.10 let fly from 30 yards out, but his shot didn’t trouble Godmon as it sailed over the bar.


Another typical mazy run by Webster in the 29th minute was fairly brought to a halt as he tried to create an opening on the edge of the box. Hythe continued to apply the pressure with both Dembele & Collin having further attempts on goal, including a 40th minute 35 yarder from Collin which just whizzed over the bar.

Two minutes into the second half and a clumsy challenge by the Margate no.19 on Gordon on the goal line and more importantly just inside the box, resulted in the referee Simon Finnigan pointing to the spot. Gordon was then replaced by Ross Ibbertson before Collin stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 2-0 to Hythe Town.


As the game wore on Margate had the lions share of possession, without really troubling the Hythe goal too often. A good bit of interplay by blue shirts resulted in a shooting opportunity on 51 minutes but the attempt was snuffed out by Beniot. Three minutes later their no.9 sent a shot goal bound which was palmed over by Godmon for a corner. They did get the ball in the net around 55 minutes but the assistant referee had already flagged for offside.


On 56 minutes Hythe showed that they were still a danger, with Dembele making another strong run through the Margate half before unleashing a shot which was palmed over by the keeper. The resultant corner fell to Ibbertson outside the box, but his shot was sadly more a concern for the seagulls than the Margate keeper.


As Margate continued to work hard to create chances, they were caught on the break on the hour mark, but our trialist couldn’t make them pay. There then followed a number of substitutions with the trialist, Phillip, Webster being replaced by Luke Medley, Jarred Trespaderne & Bradley Ihionvien respectively. As the drinks break approached another blues chance went begging, although with a well marshalled defence the flag was up for offside anyway.


Further substitutions resulted in Oldaker & Smith having their places taken by 16-year-old Morgan Williamson & Joe Denny. Margate followed this up with another shot well saved by Godmon before Collin & Rogers made way for Alex Brown & Tyronne Guthrie and Hythe’s ex player from last season Jamie Coyle, came on to bolster the home side’s defence.


As the game entered the last 15 minutes Connor Cheek, Tom Walmsley & Ryan Nicholls entered the fray at the expense of Benoit, Dembele & Godmon.


With Margate still probing for a goal, Hythe had a couple of opportunities to press home their advantage on the break. Firstly, Walmsley’s hard work resulted in a chance for Ihionvien but his shot was blocked and shortly after an excellent save from Nicholls from a speculative Margate shot, Medley found himself one on one with the keeper but stumbled at the critical moment and his shot looped over the bar.


Although Margate kept pressing, Hythe always appeared to have things in control and ran out comfortable 2-0 winners on the day.


Next up is away to Hollands & Blair of the Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division on Tuesday night.



Report by Clinton Johnson

Glebe 1 Hythe Town 2  

PSF Behind Closed Doors

Tuesday 11 August 2020


Glebe, of the Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division, were affable hosts to the Hythe Town contingent on a very warm evening at their Foxbury Avenue ground in Chislehurst.


With the temperature still nudging 30 degrees as kick off approached, Steve Watt’s starting eleven was: Will Godmon; Ross Ibbertson, Tom Wynter; Eli Benoit, Nathan Gordon; Charlie Webster, James Rogers, Darren Oldaker, Kane Phillip; Frannie Collin & Luke Medley.


Straight from the kick-off Glebe went on the attack winning a corner in the first minute. As play then moved to the opposite end of the field, Medley couldn’t quite get onto a week back pass to trouble the Glebe keeper.


In the eighth minute a dangerous Ibbotson cross into the Glebe box fell to Collin whose effort didn’t cause the keeper any real alarm.


In the eleventh minute a mazy run by Phillip down the left, beating a number of opponents, was eventually brought to an end before he could get a shot away. There were a number of similar moves along the left-hand touchline during the half where Phillips and left full-back Gordon often linked up well. The same applied to Ibbertson & Webster down the right-hand flank too.


Glebe had a shooting opportunity in the twelfth minute, but it drifted wide of the right-hand post. Five minutes later however a superb defence splitting ball from the Glebe midfield gave one of their forwards a great chance to shoot, but his effort was thwarted by a very timely Ibbertson sliding tackle.


The defender then turned provider in the 21st minute, with a long cross well taken by Phillip, whose shot just went over the bar. Moments later a Collin pass to Webster sent him away on another of his trademark surging runs, but no one could get on the end of his cross into the danger area. A drinks break followed.


When play resumed Glebe stepped up the pressure, having two good goal attempts in quick succession. The first was blocked by yet another excellent Ibbertson tackle and the second well saved by Godmon.


On 26 min we had the nearest to a goal so far as Medley shot on the turn from 20 yards out, only to see the keeper push his effort onto the cross bar and it bounced away to safety. Not to be outdone a minute later Glebe got a shot away themselves only to see Godmon palm it over the bar. For a few minutes it was then Hythe under the cosh, but good defending, another Godmon save and off target shooting meant we stayed at nil all.


As the first half drew to a close it was again Phillips in the thick of the action, firstly setting-up Medley whose shot was saved and then having his own shot from inside the 18 yard box well blocked by a Glebe defender.


At half-time Steve Watt gave the eleven a stern talking to, imploring them to try and cut-out some elementary mistakes and to take the game to Glebe more, as opposed to going sideways too often. As a consequence, the same eleven players took to the field for the second half and within five minutes Hythe Town were 1-0 up, courtesy of a crisp 20+yd shot from Collin leaving the keeper with little or no chance.


As the teams regrouped in their own halves Gordon & goal scorer Collin were substituted by Kaka Dembele & Tom Walmsley respectively. When the referee blew for the re-start an ex Hythe favourite, Frankie Sawyer, saw an opportunity with Godmon well out of his goal and lofted the ball 50+yardsds and watched it bounce into an empty net. 1-1 and so Hythe’s turn to take a kick-off.


On 54mins Benoit & Rogers gave way to Joe Denny & Tyrone Guthrie and then on the hour it was 6 off (Godmon, Wynter, Webster, Phillip, Oldaker & Medley) and six on (Ryan Nicholls, Connor Cheek, Bradley Ihionvien, Morgan Williamson, Alex Brown & Jarred Trespaderne).


The final substitution occurred at the mid-half drinks break with Alex Flisher replacing Ross Ibbertson and a minute or so later a superb through ball from 16 year old Ihionvien found Flisher, who like Collin earlier, unleashed a shot from more than 20 yards out giving the Glebe keeper little chance.


On 76 minutes Glebe had a free kick in a dangerous position, but their effort went straight into the Hythe wall and away to safety. As we entered the last few minutes Glebe to their credit kept plugging away and on another day an 84th minute defensive lapse at the back for Town may well have been punished, but on this occasion the Glebe shot went wide of the goal.


The final action of note before the referee brought the game to a close occurred in the 87th minute when a Dembele pass was flicked on by Flisher to Brown, whose shot went just left of the goal.



All in all, an encouraging performance and we look forward to a stern test at Margate this coming Saturday.


Report by Clinton Johnson

Chipstead 1 v Hythe Town 0

PSF Behind Closed Doors

Saturday 8 August 2020


When season 2019/20 came to a premature halt in March, Chipstead were 10th in the Isthmian Division One South Central with 45 points from 28 matches, whereas Hythe Town had 40 points from 29 matches, so not a great deal between the two teams. Five months on and there still wasn’t much between them. I don’t think Chipstead would have begrudged HTFC at least a draw, but at the end of the day the result was probably secondary to the players of both teams getting back to competitive football after such a long lay-off.


On a sweltering afternoon with the temperature in the low 30’s Steve Watt’s starting eleven was:- Will Godmon; Ross Ibbertson, Tom Wynter; Joe Denny, Nathan Gordon; Kaka Dembele, James Rogers, Morgan Williamson, Kane Phillip; Frannie Collin & Tom Walmsley.


On nine minutes a powerful Dembele cross into the danger area was cleared away for a corner by the Chipstead defence. There then followed two Chipstead shots on goal well blocked on the six yard line by Denny & Wynter. Just prior to the mid-half drinks break a Collin cross from the right was taken by Rogers, but his shot was well saved by the Chipstead keeper.


Straight after the drinks break a flighted ball into the Hythe penalty area was met by David Graves, whose header went beyond the reach of Godmon to open the scoring for Chipstead.


On 27 minutes, a strong run by Dembele to the goal line resulted in an acute angle shot which was cleared away. Six minutes later a 25 yard shot from Collin was well saved. Moments later a direct free kick taken by Collin from the left was again saved by the Chipstead keeper. From the resulting corner Wynter managed to connect with the ball in the six yard box but could only see his effort sail over the bar. As the Hythe pressure continued at the end of the first half shots from Walmsley & Collin were saved and cleared by a resolute Chipstead defence and a Dembele 25 yard shot just whizzed over the bar.


At half time Eli Benoit replaced Denny; Charlie Webster came on for Phillips; Darren Oldaker took the place of teenager Williamson and Alex Brown took over from Walmsley.


Two minutes into the half a decent Chipstead shot was partially blocked and gathered by Godmon. On 51 minutes a glorious diagonal pass from Oldaker found Dembele on the left touchline who worked well with Gordon, who in turn had his shot blocked by a green & white hooped shirt. Two minutes later and it looked as though the score was going to be 2-0, but Godmon pulled off an excellent point blank save to keep the Cannons in the match. Not to be outdone, on 57 minutes the Chipstead keeper, at full stretch, managed to just push over a Collin free kick from all of 30yds which was heading for the top right-hand corner until the keeper’s finger tips intervened.


On the hour mark Luke Medley & Tyronne Guthrie replaced Collin & Rogers. Two minutes later Medley couldn’t quite get the touch he would have liked on a Dembele cross and his shot failed to trouble the keeper.


After the mid-half drinks break Ryan Nicholls took over in goal from Godmon, Connor Cheek & Jarred Trespaderne replaced Wynter & Gordon respectively.


On 70 minutes Medley had a shot from just inside the box which went the wrong side of the post and on 75 minutes Ibbertson made way for teenager Bradley Ihionvien. In the remaining minutes of the game each team had attempts on goal but all to no avail.



Despite the defeat there were positives to be taken from the performance and hopefully the team can build on them on Tuesday night at Glebe, in another behind closed doors PSF.


Report thanks to Clinton Johnson