Match Reports 2023-2024

Horndean 0 Hythe Town 4

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 11th November 2023


After an even first half the Cannons steam rollered Horndean in the second half as they ran out comfortable 4-0 winners on Saturday afternoon.


Manager, Steve Watt brought back a number of the first regulars to change the team that played against Ashford United in the Velocity Trophy on Tuesday evening.


Hythe were kicking up the steep slope in the first half but did create the first opportunity after two minutes as a deep cross from Jack Steventon found Lex Allan who headed over. Then on nine minutes Horndean created their first effort as Zachery Willett picked up the ball on the left-hand side but sent his final shot high over the bar. At the other end as Steventon headed over from a Collin cross.  


As the half progressed the hosts were looking dangerous playing down the slope but weren’t really creating many opportunities as the Hythe defence stood strong including an excellent challenge by Steventon. Against the run of play at this stage it was a shot from Jake Embery halfway through the first half that was saved well by home keeper Cameron Scott. Willett did cause some concern for the visitors as he got in a shooting position but the Hythe back-four blocked and the chance was gone. On the stroke of half time Cade Dyer stole the ball from Kane Phillip but his final attempt was well saved by away keeper Steve Phillips ensuring both sides were level at the break.


With one change at the break as Kai Garnde replaced the injured Lex Allan, it was Hythe who made full use of the slope as they were ahead on 49 minutes. Embery picked up the ball on the left-hand side and skilfully side footed home past Scott to making it 1-0. A minute later he was in the same position but sent this effort wide.


However, the Cannons were not to be denied as after 57 minutes Ethan Smith stole the ball and surged through the middle beating off a couple of challenges to slot the ball home to increase Hythe’s lead.  The visitors were now in full control as they got a third on 62 minutes as Johan Caney-Bryan was on hand to stoke the ball home for his first league goal of the season to add to his six in cup competitions.


On 64 minutes the only nasty incident in the game as a reckless challenge from Jordan Pile on Ethan Smith saw the home midfielder deservedly sent for an early bath. It was substitute Kai Garande who put the icing on the Cannons cake as on 79 minutes he sent a shot from the left hand side into far corner of the net to make it 4-0.


With only four minutes of the game to go Phillips was to deny the hosts any consolation as he saved at full stretch from an attempt from Samuel Hook. It was an excellent away performance from Hythe as the climb up the table and sets them up for the home Kent Senior Cup tie against Sittingbourne on Tuesday night.


Team: Steve Phillips, Kane Phillip (Charles Noyelle 89 mins), Bradley Schafer, Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan (Kai Garande 45 mins), Ethan Smith, Aaron Barnes, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Jarred Trespaderne 79 mins). Subs unused: Sam Flisher, Josh Stirman.


Goal Scorers: Hythe Town: Jake Embery 49 mins, Ethan Smith 57 mins, Jordan Caney-Bryan 62 mins, Kai Garande 79 mins.


Attendance: 165

Hythe Town 3 Ramsgate 1

Isuzu FA Trophy 1st Round

Tuesday 31st October 2023


Hythe won comfortably against Ramsgate in the FA Trophy on a rainy Tuesday night at Reachfields. Steve Watt made just one change from the 2-2 draw against Burgess Hill Town, as Jarred Trespaderne replaced the unavailable Brad Schafer.


The Cannons got off to a dream start as, straight from the kick-off, the ball was worked out to Ethan Smith on the right-hand side of the pitch, who hit a shot from a tight angle which deflected against the goalkeeper and trickled into the net. Hythe had several chances to make it 2-0 in quick succession - on 28 minutes, Frannie Collin slipped the ball through to the onrushing Jake Embery, who struck to the ball home before the linesman held up his flag to show that Embery was offside.


A minute later, Jarred Trespaderne laid the ball off to Liam Smith, who hit a shot from range which flew just over the crossbar. On 30 minutes, the Cannons had a golden opportunity to double their advantage, as Jake Embery backheeled the ball towards goal, with the goalkeeper deflecting it to Aaron Barnes, who hit the rebound wide from close range. However, Barnes managed to get on the scoresheet on the stroke of half-time, picking up a loose ball and striking it home from inside the box.


23 minutes into the second half, there was a foul outside the box from Ramsgate's Finley Bough, who received a booking, however, after saying a few words to the referee, he was given a second yellow card, reducing the visitors to ten men. Immediately after the dismissal, Frannie Collin stepped up to take a free-kick, which Johan Caney-Bryan met with a diving header to seal the win for Hythe. However, the Rams managed to score a consolation in injury time, as a corner was deflected in by a Hythe player just before the full-time whistle blew.


Following this result, the Cannons will go on to face Tonbridge Angels in the Second Round of the competition. Before that, they will be back in action on Saturday afternoon, as they take on Herne Bay at Reachfields in the Isthmian South-East Division at 3pm.


Team: Steve Phillips, Marcus Goldsmith (Sam Flisher 63 mins), Jarred Trespaderne (Kane Phillip 80 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin (Charles Noyelle 80 mins), Jake Embery.


Scorers: Hythe Town - Ethan Smith 1 min, Aaron Barnes 45 mins, Johan Caney-Bryan 70 mins. Ramsgate – Own Goal 90 mins.



Attendance: 205

Hythe Town 2 Burgess Hill Town 2

Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 21st October 2023


Hythe were held to a draw by Burgess Hill Town on a wet and windy Saturday afternoon at Reachfields. Steve Watt named an unchanged lineup from the 4-0 win over Sevenoaks Town.


The game started very brightly for the visitors, who took the lead on five minutes, as Kieron Pamment darted down the right-hand side, unleashing a shot which was cleared by Lex Allan, straight into the path of Rob O'Toole, who slotted home to give the Hillians an early lead. It was almost 2-0 in the eighth minute, when Kieron Pamment once again made a run down the right, hitting a shot which Steve Phillips managed to grab. Hythe managed to level the scores in the 16th minute through Jake Embery, who recieved the ball from Johan Caney-Bryan and stuck the ball past James Shaw. Two minutes later, the Hillians were causing danger once again, when Mo Jammeh hit a shot against the post, before it was cleared. Barely a minute after, it was Hythe on the attack, with Jake Embery hitting a shot against the onrushing goalkeeper, before the ball landed at the feet of Ethan Smith, who struck the ball into an empty net to give the Cannons the lead.


The first half continued to be fairly even, as did the start of the second half, with no cutting-edge chances for either side. 20 minutes into the second half, Hythe could've had a third, when Johan Caney-Bryan made a run into the box down the right-hand side, dragging his shot across the face of goal. Unfortunately for the Cannons, the scores were levelled once again on 77 minutes, when Rob O'Toole's free-kick into the box was blasted into the net by Dan Perry. The visitors looked the most likely to score, until injury time, when Hythe had one more big opportunity, as Lex Allan made an excellent run forward, beating two men and playing it out to Marcus Goldsmith on the right-hand side, who crossed into the box, with Johan Caney-Bryan unable to make enough contact with the ball to trouble the goalkeeper.


The full-time whistle blew, and Hythe came away with one point, putting them 8th in the table after seven matches. The Cannons are back in action on Saturday to take on Ramsgate in the FA Trophy.



Report by Tom Ellerby


Team: Steve Phillips, Marcus Goldsmith, Bradley Schafer (Jarred Trespaderne 79 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes (Sam Flisher 70 mins), Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Kane Phillip 88 mins).


Scorers: Hythe Town - Jake Embery 16 mins, Ethan Smith 19 mins). Burgess Hill Town - Rob O'Toole 5 mins, Dan Perry 77 mins.


Yellow Cards: Johan Caney-Bryan 


Attendance: 168

Hythe Town 4-0 Sevenoaks Town

Isthmian League South-East Division

Tuesday 10th October 2023


Hythe managed a comfortable 4-0 victory on Tuesday night against Sevenoaks Town at Reachfields. Steve Watt made just one change from Saturday's FA Trophy win against Concord Rangers, as Jake Embery replaced Charles Noyelle.


It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game as, on 8 minutes, Rowan Liburd hit a scuffed shot which almost got the better of Steve Phillips, but he managed to leap to his right and palm the shot away at the last moment. The Cannons managed to score their opener on 17 minutes, when Aaron Barnes beat his man in the box and hit a weak but accurate shot past the Sevenoaks goalkeeper to make it 1-0. The visitors almost made it 1-1 on 26 minutes, when a shot was saved by Steve Phillips, with the rebound going straight to Daniel Carr, which was saved once again by Phillips. It was Hythe on the attack a minute later, as Aaron Barnes hit a pinpoint cross from the right-hand side of the pitch, which Johan Caney-Bryan nodded straight at Sevenoaks goalkeeper Amadou Tangara. The final opportunity of the half went to the visitors, when the ball flew into the path of Rowan Liburd inside the penalty area, with the striker turning and striking the ball with an overhead kick which sailed over the crossbar.


The second half began with an immediate goal for Hythe, when Ethan Smith hit a shot against the goalkeeper, with the ball spilling to Jake Embery, who turned and shot into an empty net to double the advantage for the Cannons. It could've been three on 56 minutes, as Aaron Barnes darted forward into the box and hit a powerful shot, which Amadou Tangara got down to his feet to grab. On 62 minutes, a clever set-piece put Hythe in a good position again, as Frannie Collin played a free-kick short to Ethan Smith, who was making an overlapping run, with the latter striking the ball goalwards from a tight angle, before the goalkeeper deflected the ball away with his foot. Fortunately for Hythe, their dominance was rewarded with a third in the 72nd minute, when a long throw-in from Jack Steventon was headed on by Liam Smith into the path of Jake Embery, who backheeled the ball into the net for his second of the match. With just two minutes remaining, Aaron Barnes was brought down by Corey Holder inside the Sevenoaks penalty area. The referee pointed to the spot, and Frannie Collin slotted his penalty to the keeper's left, sending him the wrong way and putting the icing on the cake for Hythe.


The Cannons will now have ten days to prepare themselves for their next match, which takes place on Saturday 21st October at Reachfields, as they take on Burgess Hill Town at 3pm.


Team: Steve Phillips, Marcus Goldsmith, Brad Schafer, Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith (Charles Noyelle 89 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan (Kane Phillip 90 mins), Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Josh Stirman 83mins). Sub not used: Sam Flisher, Harry Rowland


Goals: Hythe Town - Aaron Barnes 17 mins, Jake Embery 46 & 72 mins, Frannie Collin 88 mins ( pen)


Yellow cards: Hythe Town - Liam Smith, Jake Embery. Sevenoaks Town - Ricardo Thompson



Attendance: 170

Concord Rangers 2 Hythe Town 3

Isuzu FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Saturday 7th October 2023


The Cannons were grateful for an injury time penalty from Frannie Collin to secure their place in the 1st Round Proper of the FA Trophy. To do this they sealed a 3-2 win in an exciting encounter at Concord Rangers on Saturday afternoon.


Manager, Steve Watt made two changes to the team that drew with Ashford United with Charles Noyelle coming in for the unavailable Jake Embery and Bradley Schafer replacing Jarred Trespaderne in the starting lineup.


It was Concord who were first to threaten as Freddie Price broke free on the left looping his final cross just past the far post. Hythe had their first opportunity on ten minutes as a Collin deep free kick was headed wide by Liam Smith. The visitors were beginning to take control and were rewarded on a quarter of an hour as Marcus Goldsmith chased down the right delivering a pinpoint deep cross to find Johan Caney-Bryan who headed home at the far post.


However, the lead was only too last for ten minutes as Eren Kanali raced down the right putting a cross to the far post where Price was on hand to tap home. There were a couple of chances at both ends before a moment of skill and determination by Ethan Smith was rewarded with a second Hythe goal. The youngster won a challenge with a home defender and then ran to the ball to plant his shot across Concord keeper Mason Terry into the far corner of the net to give the Cannons a 41st minute lead.


After the break there was a long spell where both sides were trying to get the initiative without creating any clear-cut chances. In the 71st minute a deep cross from Kinali found Tahje Anderson whose strike went over the bar and Caney-Bryan in the penalty-box got a shot away that was superbly saved by Terry. The keeper was to save again from an effort from Aaron Barnes.


Former Dover Athletic striker Ricky Modeste was to bring the scores level on 83 minutes as a cross from the right touch line sailed over Hythe keeper Steve Phillips and into the far top corner of the net.  Ethan Smith was to nearly equalise on 85 minutes as he blasted wide but finally two minutes into injury time the Cannons were to get the winner. The ball was bouncing about in the Concord penalty area finally hitting the arm of a home defender. After a second to think the referee pointed to the spot. Up stepped Collin to bury his kick into the corner of the net just out of the reach of Terry bring relief to the travelling Hythe supporters.


The hosts looked for the equaliser but could breakthrough in remaining eight minutes of injury time and it is Hythe who go through to the next round draw that will be announced at 1pm on Monday. The hosts will be at home to Sevenoaks Town at Reachfields on Tuesday evening. Kick off is 7:45pm.


Team: Steve Phillips, Marcus Goldsmith, Bradley Schafer (Kane Phillip 88 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes (Josh Stirman 88 mins), Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Charles Noyelle (Jarred Trespaderne 76 mins). Subs not used: Sam Flisher, Kai Garande.


Scorers: Concord Rangers - Freddie Price 26 mins, Ricky Modeste 83 mins. Hythe Town - Johan Caney-Bryan 15 mins, Ethan Smith 41 mins, Frannie Collin 90 mins (pen)


Yellow Card: Josh Stirman 90 mins


Attendance: 129

Hythe Town 2 Ashford United 2

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Tuesday 3rd October 2023


Hythe came away with a 2-2 draw in Tuesday night's local derby against Ashford United at Reachfields. Manager Steve Watt made two changes from Saturday's narrow defeat at Erith & Belvedere, with Jarred Trespaderne and Liam Smith replacing Kane Phillip and Brad Schafer, who both dropped to the bench.


Within six minutes, the Cannons were in front, as a looping cross into the box was deflected onto the head of Lex Allan, who nodded the ball into the bottom corner of the net to give Hythe the lead. Six minutes later, the visitors almost levelled the scores, when Danny Parish hit a shot towards goal, which Steve Phillips got down to save comfortably. However, on 31 minutes, the visitors managed to secure an equaliser, as one of their players was brought down by Marcus Goldsmith in the box. The referee pointed to the spot, and Danny Parish stepped up, firing the ball past Steve Phillips, who incorrectly dived to his left.


A fairly even first half was replicated after the break. Twelve minutes into the half, Danny Parish had a chance to score his second of the game, dashing past the defence and firing just wide of Steve Phillips' left-hand post. Luckily for Hythe, with just 15 minutes left to play in the match, Hythe retook the lead, as Aaron Barnes made a darting run down the left wing, beating several Ashford players, before finishing superbly by knocking a dipping shot over the outstretched palms of Ashford goalkeeper Jacob Russell, much to the delight of the Hythe supporters. However, just when everybody thought that the three points had been secured, Ashford scored a stoppage time equaliser, when Steve Phillips came off his line to parry a shot away from his goal. The ball then fell to substitute Lewis Knight, who stuck the rebound past an unprepared Phillips to snatch a point for the visitors.


The full time whistle blew to mark a competitive local derby, which saw Hythe finish the evening 8th in the table, having played five league games. The Cannons are back in action this Saturday, as they travel to Concord Rangers in the FA Trophy, with the match kicking off at 3pm, before Hythe return to Reachfields next Tuesday evening as they entertain Sevenoaks Town, with that game kicking off at 7:45pm.


Team: Steve Phillips, Marcus Goldsmith, Jarred Trespaderne (Brad Schafer 72'), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Charles Noyelle 80') Unused substitutes: Josh Stirman, Sam Flisher, Kane Phillip.


Goalscorers: Hythe Town - Lex Allan 6 mins, Aaron Barnes 75 mins. Ashford United - Danny Parish 31 mins (pen), Lewis Knight 90 mins


Yellow cards: Jonah Tolulope 38 mins, Harvey Brand 58 mins, Ethan Smith 81 mins, Bradley Simms 87 mins, Anthony Edgar 90 mins.


Attendance: 228

Erith & Belvedere 1 Hythe Town 0

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 30th September 2023


The Cannons can feel a little aggrieved at coming away from Erith & Belvedere with nothing as they went down 1-0 being sunk by a late goal and having and injury time equaliser controversially disallowed.


Hythe had the best of the first half and had they taken their chances they could well have been well ahead at the break. They continued to look the more likely side but were stunned in the 81st minute as Erith substitute Kian Garlinge laid the ball off to Chris Dickson who buried his 25-yard shot high into the top corner to give Hythe keeper Steve Phillips no chance.


Then came the moment when the Cannons looked to have brought the scores level as a typical Frannie Collin free kick eventually found Jack Steventon who scrambled over the line. The referees assistant after a short time was waving his flag for offside and the goal was ruled out to the disappointment of the travelling away support.


The Cannons came away wondering how they did not get anything out of the game.


Team: Steve Phillips, Kane Phillip (Sam Flisher 78 mins), Marcus Goldsmith, Jack Steventon, Aaron Barnes, Lex Allan, Bradley Schafer (Jarred Trespaderne 69 mins), Ethan Smith (Charles Noyelle 89 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery.  Subs not used: Josh Stirman & Liam Smith.


Scorer: Erith & Belvedere – Chris Dickson 81 mins)


Yellow Card: Frannie Collin 89 mins



Attendance: 250

Hythe Town 2 Margate 1

Kent Senior Cup 1st Round

Tuesday 26th September 2023


Hythe were victorious on Tuesday night in the opening round of the Kent Senior Cup, as they secured a 2-1 win over competition holders Margate at Reachfields. Steve Watt made five changes from Saturday’s victory over Chertsey Town, as Liam Smith, Frannie Collin, Brad Schafer,  Jake Embery and Aaron Barnes made way for Harry Rowland, Jarred Trespaderne, Johan Caney-Bryan, Charles Noyelle and Josh Stirman.


The Cannons took just eight minutes to take the lead, as Marcus Goldsmith ran down the left-hand side of the pitch and sent the ball onto the head of Johan Caney-Bryan, who made no mistake. On 20 minutes, the visitors had their first major chance of the match, as Mo Cham rushed forward on the counter-attack, firing a shot which beat Steve Phillips but drifted wide of the post. On 28 minutes, Hythe almost made it 2-0, as the provider of the opener, Marcus Goldsmith, headed over the bar from close range. Unfortunately for Hythe, their advantage was stolen from them, as a long ball found Phil Roberts, who headed home to level the scores. However, Steve Watt’s men re-took the lead with three minutes to go in the first half, as Johan Caney-Bryan scored his second, hitting a right footed shot into the bottom corner.


The third quarter of the match was rather quiet, with both sides struggling to get any cutting-edge chances. However, as the half went on, the visitors became more dangerous. On 68 minutes, substitute Antonis Vasiliou blazed a shot over the bar from close range before, three minutes later, Phil Roberts attempted to score his second, skipping past the Hythe defence and firing a shot towards goal, which Steve Phillips had to get down to save.


On 74 minutes, Hythe had their first major opportunity of the half, when Ethan Smith drove a powerful shot from outside the box towards goal, which goalkeeper Harry Seaden dived to tip away from the net. Three minutes after, the Cannons almost sealed the three points from a free-kick, which Charles Noyelle played short into the feet of Jack Steventon, who drove his shot over the crossbar.


Margate failed to secure an equaliser in the dying minutes of the game, and the full-time whistle blew to mark an unexpected, but well deserved, victory for the Cannons. They will face Sittingbourne in the 2nd Round of the competition at Reachfields, with the date yet to be announced. 


Team: Steve Phillips, Kane Phillip, Marcus Goldsmith, Jack Steventon, Harry Rowland, Lex Allan (Aaron Barnes 63 mins), Jarred Trespaderne, Ethan Smith (Luke Russell 84 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan, Charles Noyelle, Josh Stirman (Oscar Webb 69 mins)


Scorers: Hythe Town - Johan Caney-Byran 8 & 42 mins. Margate - Phil Roberts 33 mins


Attendance: 130


Match report by Tom Ellerby

Chertsey Town 2 Hythe Town 4

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round

Saturday 23rd September 2023


The Cannons had to endure a late comeback as they ran out 4-2 winners in a thoroughly entertaining game against ten-man Chertsey Town on Saturday.


There were a number of changes to the side who won on penalties on Tuesday night at Sittingbourne in the Velocity Trophy.


The hosts edged the first quarter of an hour without creating any real opportunities and it was in fact Hythe who were first to create as on 17 minutes a trademark long throw from Jack Steventon was nodded on by Frannie Collin finding Liam Smith who forced home goalkeeper Nicholas Jupp to stretch to hold on to the ball. Jupp was to deny the visitors again 60 seconds later as Kane Phillip crossed into Collin, and he did well to get down to push the ball wide. Chertsey came close to taking the lead as Conor Lee sent the ball into Ben Mendoza who sneaked in front of Steventon but he sent his header just wide.


On 21 minutes Bradley Schafer broke through the home defence only to be tugged back by Rob Sheridan before he could a shot away. The referee reached for his red card and pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped Collin who sent Jupp the wrong way to give the Cannons the lead. Two minutes later Hythe extended their lead as Ethan Smith turned and slammed the ball into the Chertsey net.


Chertsey were denied by Steve Phillips in the Hythe goal as a looping cross from Wayne Ridgley found Gareth Chendick but his effort was saved. The Cannons were playing some neat and impressive football as the ever-dangerous Ethan Smith came in from the right, but Jupp was on hand to save and then at the other end substitute Gianluca Botti pulled the ball wide.


On the stroke of half time Phillip was to rub salt in the home wounds as he drove the ball home from the right-hand side to reward the visitors with a deserved three-nil half time lead. This had been an impressive half from the Cannons where they had played some scintillating football.


Hythe seemed to have sealed the result on 51 minutes as an Aaron Barnes cross eventually found Steventon who planted the ball into the Chertsey goal to make it four-nil and soon Ethan could have made it five but sent his effort wide.


To their credit the hosts never gave up despite having a mountain to climb. On 79 minutes Botti, who was proving to be a handful, forced a save from Phillips and then two minutes later he turned the ball into the net from a cross by Ridgley and then on the stroke of full time Chendilk fired home to make injury time a little tense but it was too little too late and it is the Cannons who into the draw on Monday when the Step Three sides come in.  


Hythe are back Cup Action on Tuesday night when they entertain Margate in the Kent Senior Cup 1st Round. Kick off at Reachfields is 7:45pm.


Team: Steve Phiilips, Kane Phillip (Oscar Webb 73 mins), Marcus Goldsmith (Charles Noyelle 55 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Aaron Barnes (Johan Caney-Bryan 62 mins), Ethan Smith, Jake Embery, Frannie Collin, Bradley Schafer. Subs not used: Josh Stirman, Jarred Trespaderne.


Scorers: Chertsey Town - Gianluca Botti 81 mins, Gareth Chendlik 90 mins. Hythe Town - Frannie Collin 21 mins (pen), Ethan Smith 23 mins, Kane Phillip 45 mins, Jack Steventon 51 mins.


Yellow Card: Marcus Goldsmith 33 mins, Kane Phillip 86 mins, Bradley Schafer 90 mins, Johan Caney-Bryan 90 mins.



Attendance: 410

Sittingbourne 1 Hythe Town 1

(Hythe won 4-3 on penalties)

Velocity Trophy 2nd Round

Tuesday 19th September 2023


With a number of injuries and unavailability’s to contend with Steve Watt chose to reinforce his squad numbers, signing youngsters Harry Rowland, Luke Russell and Oscar Webb all of whom contributed well, in joining the slightly older Kai Garande and Charles Noyelle who were given places in the starting line-up.


Keeper West-Astuti was retained in the team following his personal Chichester nightmare whilst the home side selected from a far larger pool of players.


Despite the Velocity Trophy being a sometimes-low-key affair, early exchanges were typical of a local derby where several cannons have "history" at this very rural setting.


Sittingbourne took a 15-minute lead when Jean-Baptiste Fischer drove a 20 yard free kick into the net with the help of a deflection.


On 25 minutes young Kai Garande seemed to be selected for a couple of hefty challenges and left the battle to be replaced by the recently signed Kane Phillip, but with the combative Jarred Trespaderne breaking up play in midfield and then advancing to shoot just over on 45 minutes, the Cannons continued to threaten.


The lively action continued into the second half and when a Trespaderne foul presented the hosts with another free kick at the edge of the area, this time the Hythe keeper stretched to make a good save.


Ethan Smith, Jake Embery and Marcus Goldsmith all had good attempts just off-target but at 1-0 and with all of the Hythe youngsters now on the pitch it seemed that the writing was on the wall. However, in the 90th minute up popped Oscar Webb on the left of the area from where he calmly slotted past keeper Bobby Mason for Hythe’s leveller.


The match now went into a penalty shoot-out that with Hythe’s near-perfect past record was surely only a formality and sure enough both Liam and Ethan Smith kept their heads before Trespaderne blasted home an unstoppable effort and young Charles Noyelle coolly stepped up to make it four out of four. The pressure duly got to the home side who blasted their last two attempts well into the Woodstock countryside and Hythe entered the third-round draw.


Team:  Jack West-Astuti, Marcus Goldsmith, Kai Garande (Kane Phillip 26), Charles Noyelle, Liam Smith. Jarred Trespaderne, Ethan Smith, Jack Steventon, Johan Caney-Bryan (Luke Russell 90), Jake Embery (Oscar Webb 83), Aaron Barnes (Harry Rowland 90), Sub unused Frannie Collin.


Scorers: Sittingbourne - Jean-Baptiste Fischer 15 mins, Hythe Town - Oscar Webb 90 mins.


Yellow Cards: Jarred Trespaderne 42 mins, Jack Embery 65 mins.



Attendance: 102

Chichester City 5 Hythe Town 0

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 16th September 2023


Following last week's successful Sussex expedition, the Cannons ventured further westwards when they took on unbeaten Chichester City who are ground-sharing at the impressive Bognor Regis stadium whilst yet another artificial surface is being installed at their own place. Perhaps the "home" team will be having a few doubts about future plans as they certainly performed well on this excellent natural surface, attacking at speed and in numbers, and playing in a way that will surely lead to end-of-season success if this current form can be maintained.


Both sides showed each other due respect in a cagey opening 15 minutes, but apart from this spell and a similar period after half-time, Town were second best all over the park and eventually had to settle for damage limitation as the game progressed. 


Things started to go downhill on 17 minutes when a furious home attack left both Brad Schafer and Ethan Smith down injured but with no free kicks awarded by the referee who then cautioned Frannie Collin for his observations on the matter. 


Town escaped this time with their defences intact but just three minutes later dangerous home forward Ethan Prichard broke free from his own half to run through unchallenged for his side's opening goal. 10 minutes later burly centre forward Steve Hutchings used his body to turn a defender and fire home an unstoppable shot past stand-in Hythe keeper Jack West-Astuti. Jack had been brought in to cover for the returning Steve Phillips who was always going to be unavailable for this match. 


The deputy could not be blamed for either goal and indeed prevented another by diving full length to push another shot round his goalpost. However, he rather foolishly got involved when challenged by the very lively Seok-Jae Lee and both went head-to-head in a rather comical way that saw each of them cautioned. 


As half-time approached the hard-working Caney-Bryan who had spent the half mostly in splendid isolation was the recipient of what seemed to be a totally unjustified yellow card when he accidentally caught a defender who was approaching him unseen from behind. 


Hythe started the second half in determined fashion with Jake Embery on to partner Caney-Bryan up front and the home bench now suddenly looking a little concerned, but when City broke free on 56 minutes Prichard found himself in space inside the area and fired home his side's third and deciding strike. Three became four minutes later when Lee planted another accurate attempt into the net and now it seemed that keeping the scoreline respectable had become the game-plan. 


The rampant home side were not finished yet though and the again exposed West-Astuti left the attacking Conrad Honore in a crumpled heap as he homed in on goal. As the keeper ruefully departed the scene, oft-time sub keeper Liam Smith stepped into the fray and at last gave the travelling supporters something to cheer about when he dived brilliantly to save the resultant penalty. The Hythe captain then came out confidently to save at the feet of Prichard but was eventually undone when Honore squeezed in a sneaky low shot just inside the foot of the post. 


It was apparent from quite early on that this young Chichester side were going to be a handful and so they were. Way back in last season Chatham inflicted a similar scoreline on these Cannons who responded in fine fashion from then on so let's hope that history will be repeated. 


Hythe play a Velocity Cup match at Sittingbourne on Tuesday evening before preparing for a difficult FA Trophy tie on Saturday(23rd) away to Chertsey Town in leafy Surrey.


Team: Jack West-Astuti, Sam Flisher, Marcus Goldsmith, Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan (Kane Phillip 66 mins), Frannie Collin (Jarred Trespaderne 76 mins), Bradley Schafer (Jake Embery 46 mins). Subs Unused: Kai Garande, Charles Noyelle.


Scorers: Chichester City - Ethan Prichard 20 & 56 mins, Steve Hutchings 29 mins, Seok-Jae Lee 63 mins, Conrad Honore 90 mins.


Red Card: Jack West-Astuti 72 mins - Yellow Cards: Frannie Collin 17 mins, Jack West-Astuti 38 mins, Johan Caney-Bryan 45 mins, Aaron Barnes 59 mins, Sam Flisher 68 mins.



Attendance: 148

Burgess Hill Town 1 Hythe Town 3

FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round

Saturday 9th September 2023


Following last week's disappointing FA Cup exit, the Cannons had another opportunity to win some FA money when they lined up against a Burgess Hill side who had previously dumped Premier Division Bognor Regis out of the same competition on the same day.


Both sides showed an admirable level of fitness throughout the match on what was a lush and true playing surface, and this was a fine advertisement for the step four non-league game.


As early as the opening five minutes Hythe were showing their attacking intentions with a series of long throws and corners. Jake Embery and Johan Caney-Bryan both had fine runs from the off and the former had a good attempt deflected wide by a defender before Jack Steventon headed over from the resulting corner.


Manager Steve Watt had chosen to give starts to young defender Kai Garande and the reliable Sam Flisher and both fully justified the manager's faith in them. Behind them the returning fans favourite Steven Phillips was soon back into the old routine despite a couple of very understandable early "moments".


However, this match was largely won by the likes of brothers Liam and Ethan Smith, the evergreen Frannie Collin, the sheer class of Aaron Barnes and finally the big two of Jack Steventon and Lex Allan, the latter of whom who contrived to be prominent at the back, in midfield, and in most attacks--capping his display with a fine Harry Kane style goal.


For the hosts, Lewis Finney initially took the eye, and it was he who popped up at the edge of the area on the 17th minute to work just enough space for himself to chip in an excellent shot that gave Phillps no chance and so give his side the lead.


Hythe though were totally unfazed by this clearly unexpected setback, and continued to dominate the match with the powerful running of Ethan Smith and Jake Embery causing real problems for the home side who clearly WANTED to play their football but were not being allowed to do so.


It was no surprise then in the 35th minute when Jack Steventon--still up field from a previous attack, accepted Liam Smith's pass to calmly slot home past home keeper James Shaw. The Cannons went for the kill now and a lung-bursting run from the deep by Ethan Smith ended with a fine shot and a good save by Shaw. 


Buoyed by this and with some Hythe officials still contemplating their melting chocolate biscuits in the furnace of the Boardroom, Town started the second period in the same way they had the first, and there was another Steventon throw, a nod down in the box, and the huge Lex Allen cracking home a spectacular shot to give his side a much-deserved lead.


Of course, the "Hillians" were not beaten yet and despite the 33 degree heat they put up a good response with some fine footwork on a surface they know well. A couple of shots threatened but in truth Hythe were reverting back to the "they shall not pass" heroics of last season. Steve Watt was able to introduce three decent substitutes into the action in Brad Shafer, Marcus Goldsmith and Jarred Trespaderne and all three blended in seamlessly. before the icing was put onto the cake and Aaron Barnes chipped in a fine goal from close range via Steventon and Liam Smith.


Last week's Cup defeat, although against a well-drilled side, had led to a few ruffled feathers off-field, but the good folk of Burgess Hill are a better-behaved crowd and they rose as one as the final whistle sounded to appreciate the players efforts in the searing heat.


Team: Steve Phillips, Sam Flisher, Kai Garande (Marcus Goldsmith 75 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allen, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan (Bradley Schafer 70 mins), Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Jarred Trespaderne 84 mins). Sub Unused Charles Noyelle. 


Scorers: Burgess Hill Town - Lewis Finney 16 mins. Hythe Town - Jack Steventon 36 mins, Lex Allan 47 mins, Aaron Barnes 88 mins. 


Yellow Card: Bradley Schafer 82 mins.


Attendance: 260

Hythe Town 0 Hanworth Villa 2

Emitrates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round

Saturday 2nd September 2023


Hythe suffered their first home defeat of 2023 on Saturday, as they were knocked out of the FA Cup in the first qualifying round by Hanworth Villa. Manager Steve Watt made two changes to his starting lineup from Monday's abandoned match against Ashford United, as Marcus Goldsmith and Jack Steventon returned to the side, replacing Sam Flisher and Marvin Hamilton.


The first 15 minutes were difficult for Hythe, with the visitors dominating possession and playing a good passing game. However, on 13 minutes Hythe had the first major opportunity of the match, as Jake Embery hit a powerful shot from outside the box which flew just over the crossbar. Three minutes later, a free-kick from Frannie Collin was nodded wide of the post by Liam Smith.


As the half went on, the 'Villains' managed to have more chances on goal - on 28 minutes, Bruno Robertson-Tingle managed to make his way past the Hythe backline, firing a shot towards goal which was eventually picked up by Adam Molloy. In the 35th minute, the deadlock was broken, as a cross came in from the right hand side of the pitch, which was slotted home by Seanen McKillop.


With seven minutes remaining until half-time, the ball was fired into the box by Brad Schafer, before Jake Embery gained possession, hitting a shot from a tight angle which deflected against a Hanworth player and went out for a corner, which was eventually cleared.


The second half began in similar fashion to the first, with Hythe struggling to create opportunities from their limited possession. Six minutes in, Bruno Robertson-Tingle rolled the ball over to Kyen Nicholas, who hit a shot towards an open goal which was narrowly cleared off the line by Liam Smith. Five minutes later, George Wells fired the ball towards goal from outside the box, before it was palmed away for a corner by Adam Molloy. As the game drew to a close, the visitors managed to score their second - substitute Sam Mead played the ball across goal to Sam Merson, who slotted home into an empty net to seal the victory.


Hythe supporters and players can be forgiven for feeling a little dissapointed - after all, it had been a long time since the Cannons had lost at Reachfields, and Hanworth Villa can be pleased with the performance they put in. The Cannons will need to pick themselves up and prepare for their FA Trophy game, as they travel to Burgess Hill Town on Saturday 9th September, with the match kicking off at 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Marcus Goldsmith (Sam Flisher 83 mins), Bradley Schafer, Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith (Charles Noyelle 71 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan (Kai Garande 79 mins) , Frannie Collin, Jake Embery. Sub Not Used Jarred Treparderne.


Scorers: Hanworth Villa  - Seanen McKillop 35 mins, Sam Merson 78 mins)


Yellow Card: Bradley Schafer 40 mins. 


Attendance: 319

Hythe Town 0 Ashford United 0

Pitching in Isthmian League South-East

Monday 28th August 2023

Match abandoned due to serious player injury


On Bank Holiday Monday, the Cannons played out a 0-0 draw with Ashford United in their local derby, before the match was eventually abandoned. Manager Steve Watt made two changes from Saturday's 2-0 win over Merstham, as Jarred Trespaderne and injured Sam Itauma made way for Marvin Hamilton, who returned to the club on a one-match basis, and Sam Flisher, who made his first start for the club.


Hythe were on top in the opening minutes of the game, and came close to scoring on four minutes, when Aaron Barnes sent in a cross from the left-hand corner of the pitch, which the outstretched leg of Jake Embery made a poor connection with the ball, which bounced away from the goal. On 26 minutes, the visitors had their best chance so far when Danny Parish hit a powerful shot from outside the box, which went just wide of the post. On 33 minutes, the Cannons almost scored an outstanding goal, as a Frannie Collin free-kick was cleared away, before Brad Schafer stuck his foot in the air, using the back of his heel to send the ball towards Jake Embery, who sent an overhead kick towards the top of the goal, before it was tipped over the crossbar by Ashford goalkeeper Jacob Russell. Finally, with three minutes to go of the first half, Danny Parish hit a shot towards the top corner of Adam Molloy's net, which the Cannons stopper saved in superb fashion, clawing the ball away from goal to keep the scores level going into the break.


A quiet first 15 minutes of the second half followed, before Adem Ramadan went down after a challenge on a Hythe player. As the player was clearly in a lot of pain, both teams sent to the dressing rooms, with Ramadan being given as much medical treatment as possible before an ambulance arrived to take him away before the match was eventually abandoned. Ashford United manager Kevin Watson confirmed that Ramadan has suffered a broken leg.


Despite the result now being voided, Steve Watt's men can be pleased with their performance. The club also give their best wishes to Adem Ramadan and hope that he makes a speedy recovery. The Cannons are back in action on Saturday 2nd September at Reachfields, as they take on Hanworth Villa in the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup at 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Sam Flisher, Brad Schafer, Marvin Hamilton, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery.  Subs Unused: Shad Ngandu, Jarred Trespaderne, Charles Noyelle, Kai Garande.


Attendance: 460

Merstham 0 Hythe Town 2

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 26th August 2023


The Cannons came away with a fully deserved victory in a 2-0 win at Merstham on Saturday afternoon. In fact, if all their chances had been taken, they could have had a hat full.


Manager, Steve Watt made two enforced changes from the side that beat East Grinstead Town in the FA Cup last Saturday with Jake Embery and Jarred Trespaderne coming in for the unavailable Jack Steventon and Marcus Goldsmith.


Merstham actually started the brighter and had the first chance within the first minute as a Peter Wedgeworth free-kick was headed wide by Dean Gunner. The visitors had to wait twelve minutes for their first opening as Johan Caney-Bryan had two attempts from close range with the second one being deflected wide for a corner. Frannie Collin took the resultant kick which he played into the near post to find captain Liam Smith who headed in at the near post to give Hythe the lead.


As the half progressed the Cannons increased their control of the game as Trespaderne sent a wild shot over the bar and then he headed over from a Collin corner. Collin continued to create chances from dead ball situations as he sent in a free kick deep into the penalty area finding Caney-Bryan whose attempt lacked power and the ball was easily collected by Merstham keeper Zack Basey. Just before half-time a curling free kick from Collin forced Basey to parry the ball around the upright.


The second period started with Hythe still on top as a shot from Ethan Smith was pushed round the post again by Basey and then another Collin free-kick was headed over by Caney-Bryan. A rare opportunity came for the hosts as Michael Dixon rounded Hythe keeper Adam Molloy but his final attempt from a tight angle went across the mouth of the goal and away for a goal kick. For a period, the Hythe defence prevented any moves developing into goal scoring opportunities.


Finally with six minutes left of normal time Hythe got the goal that sealed the victory. A poor clearance from Basey was intercepted by Ethan Smith who pulled the ball back to Brad Schafer who made no mistake as he buried the ball in the back of the net to make it 2-0. Schafer had another chance before the end as he pulled a shot wide and then deep in injury time substitute Kai Garande came in from the left and despite being under pressure got his shot away only for Basey to block.


This was the third victory on the spin for Hythe and they now sit in second place in the early table and now face a challenging league fixture on Bank Holiday Monday (28th August 2023) as they entertain Ashford United. Kick off at Reachfields is 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Sam Ituama (Sam Flisher 18 mins), Bradley Schafer, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Ethan Smith, Jarred Trespaderne (Charles Noyelle 90 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery (Kai Garande 80 mins).


Scorers: Hythe Town - Liam Smith 13 mins, Bradley Schafer 84 mins.


Yellow Cards: Jarred Trespaderne 26 mins, Ethan Smith 68 mins.



Attendance: 201

East Grinstead Town 1 Hythe Town 3

Emirates FA Cup Preliminary Round

Saturday 19th August 2023


The Cannons came away victorious from East Grinstead Town with a 3-1 win on Saturday afternoon to move into the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup.


Manager, Steve Watt made one change to his starting line up from last week’s league home fixture against today’s opponents bringing in Sam Itauma to replace Jake Embery who was on the bench.


The first quarter of an hour saw Hythe continue where they left off last Saturday with a chance after only 16 seconds as Bradley Schafer drove the ball just wide of the target. East Grinstead had their first chance on 19 minutes as Kiye Martin scuffed a shot high and wide.


Whilst the hosts were looking more dangerous, they were struggling to create chances and the next opportunity came for Hythe as a Jack Steventon long throw was met by a over head kick by Johan Caney-Bryan that sailed into the arms of home keeper Matte Pierson.


The Wasps were looking the more likely as the ever-dangerous Connor Tighe was blocked well by defender Lex Allan and eight minutes before half time the hosts had their best chance of the game as Kiye Martin got one on one with Adam Molloy, but the Hythe keeper was quickly off his line to snuff out the chance.


The second period saw the Cannons go quickly into a two-goal lead as on 48 minutes they went ahead from a trademark long throw from Jack Steventon that found its way to Johan Caney-Bryan who managed to get his knee to the ball diverting it into the net.  


Five minutes later Hythe went further ahead as Pierson blocked a shot from Ethan Smith with Caney-Bryan on hand to send the rebound home to make it 2-0.  There was a fright for the visitors as Marcus Goldsmith brought down Martin in the penalty area with the referee immediately pointing to the spot. Up stepped East Grinstead skipper Glenn Wilson who drilled his spot kick home.


However, the Cannons were looking for a third as Schafer drilled a shot straight at Pierson, but he was not to be denied with seven minutes to go as he broke through stretching to lob the ball over the keeper and into the far corner of the net.


East Grinstead did have a couple of chances to narrow the gap as firstly from a free kick from Max Walsh on the edge of the area, but his effort sailed over the bar and then two minutes into injury time Molley produced a great save from Ryan Green. The Cannons were to comfortably hold on to their 3-1 win and will be in the draw for the next round on Monday.


They are next in action on Saturday 26th August 2023 when they travel to Merstham in the league. Kick off is 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Sam Itauma, Marcus Goldsmith (Kai Garande 83 mins), Jack Steventon, Liam Smith, Lex Allan, Aaron Barnes, Ethan Smith (Jake Embery 59 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan (Jarred Trespaderne 80 mins), Frannie Collin, Bradley Schafer.  Subs Unused: Sam Flisher Leo Vowles.


Scorers: East Grinstead Town - Glenn Wilson 68 mins (Pen). Hythe Town – Johan Caney-Bryan 48 & 54 mins, Bradley Schafer 83 mins.


Yellow Cards: Ethan Smith 38 mins, Jake Embery 64 mins, Marcus Goldsmith 67 mins



Attendance: 142

Hythe Town 4 East Grinstead Town 0

Pitching In Isthmian League South-East

Saturday 12th August 2023


Hythe were victorious on the opening day of the season as they comfortably beat East Grinstead Town 4-0 at Reachfields. The Cannons lined up with a fairly similar team to last season, as seven players from last season's play-off final started the match, along with new signings Adam Molloy, Brad Schafer, Aaron Barnes and Jake Embery.


It was a perfect start for the Cannons, as they took the lead after just two minutes, with Jack Steventon's long throw in being knocked onto Aaron Barnes, who guided the ball into an empty goal. The visitors very nearly made it 1-1 on 21 minutes, as Max Walsh darted forward on the counterattack, squaring it to Kiye Martin, who blasted his shot wide of the post from close range. Hythe managed to score their second on 33 minutes, when Ethan Smith rushed forward on the counterattack and slotted past Matte Pierson in the East Grinstead goal. It was Ethan's brother Liam who put the Cannons 3-0 up in the fourth minute of added time, glancing a header in from a Frannie Collin corner.


In the very first minute of the second half, the visitors had a good chance to get back into the game, as Connor Tighe strode forward and lifted his shot above Adam Molloy and onto the crossbar. However, it didn't take long for Hythe to extend their lead, as Brad Schafer recieved the ball on the edge of the box on 53 minutes, skipping past the defenders and hitting a pinpoint shot past the goalkeeper. On 63 minutes, the Cannons had a chance to make it five, when Frannie Collin stepped up to take a free kick, which he drove past the wall before it was tipped away by Matte Pierson. On 83 minutes, Hythe had one final chance to add to the goals, when Johan Caney-Bryan had the ball in the box, firing his shot over the bar from close range.


Speaking after the match, manager Steve Watt said 'East Grinstead are a good side, they've made some good additions to their team this year and they always pose a threat. I just thought today our intensity was too much for them at times with the way we set the tone, particularly from the front players, and how they pressed from the front. East Grinstead couldn't get a foothold in the game - we scored in key moments, and we obviously got the goal straight away, but we kept pushing and I thought in the end we ran over them a bit, with no disrespect to East Grinstead. I thought everyone was outstanding, if I was to mark all of our players out of ten I'd struggle to mark anyone below eight. I thought the front three were outstanding, I really feel for Jake [Embery] and Johan [Caney-Bryan] because I think they deserved a goal. Ethan [Smith] was Ethan, he was everywhere, Brad Schafer playing out of position got his goal that he deserved, and we have seen what he will offer to the team. Aaron Barnes is just class, he's as smooth as silk, and he gave us that element of calmness and quality on the ball today. It was a great performance, but it's just one performance.'


The Cannons are back in action on Saturday 19th August as they face East Grinstead once again, this time away in the FA Cup, with the match kicking off at 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Liam Smith, Marcus Goldsmith, Jack Steventon, Lex Allan (Sam Itauma 61 mins), Bradley Schafer, Aaron Barnes (Jarred Trespaderne 81 mins), Ethan Smith (Sam Flisher 81 mins), Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jake Embery.


Scorers: Hythe Town – Aaron Barnes 2 mins, Ethan Smith 33mins, Liam Smith 45 mins, Bradley Schafer 53 mins.


Attendance: 271.


Match report by Tom Ellerby



Hastings United 1 Hythe Town 1

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 1st August 2023


The Cannons put up an encouraging performance in their final pre-season fixture as they came away with a 1-1 draw from Isthmian Premier Division Hastings United on Tuesday evening.


The game started slowly with both sides not making any clear cut  chances until the 26th minute when Hythe keeper Adam Molloy was forced to dive to his left to push the ball around the upright and out for a corner. Hastings continued to edge the game at the stage as Tayo Oyebola drove the ball into the side netting. On the stroke of half time the hosts took the lead as Davide Rodari flicked the ball home to make it 1-0.


The second period started with Hythe on the attack and on 52 minutes Johan Caney-Bryan forced a save from Hastings keeper Harry Howes. Hastings were still looking dangerous as Femi Akinwande rifled a free kick against the cross bar and then former Cannon Jason Fregene showed his class but he  was a denied by a fine save from Molloy.


Hythe who defended well got their just reward on 80 minutes as the ball found its way to Jake Embery who forced the ball home from close range to bring scores level.


Hythe now have ten days off before the opening league game of the season as they entertain East Grinstead Town on the first league game of the season on Saturday 12th August 2023. Kick off is 3pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Liam Smith, Sam Flisher, Charles Noyelle, Lex Allan, Jack Steventon, Ethan Smith, Marcus Goldsmith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Bradley Schafer, Aaron Barnes.  Subs All Used: Jake Embery, Jarred Tresparderne, Harry Rowland, Connor Cheek.


Scorers: Hastings United – Davide Rodari 44 mins.  Hythe Town – Jake Embery 80 mins.



Attendance: 227.  

Folkestone Invicta 5 Hythe Town 1

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 29th July 2023


Hythe were beaten comfortably by Folkestone Invicta on Saturday afternoon. The Cannons were without manager Steve Watt, who was on holiday, and assistant Darren Blackburn, who has recently left the club, with former Ashford United manager Tommy Warrilow in the dugout for the match.


The game began very evenly, with both sides showing good potential. Hythe's best opportunity of the half came after 12 minutes, when Liam Smith recieved a long ball in Invicta's half, playing it to Jake Embery, who in turn gave it to Marcus Goldsmith, who squared the ball across to Tuesday's hat-trick hero Brad Schafer, with his powerful shot from range being caught by Folkestone's goalkeeper. Unfortunately for the Cannons, the hosts began to show their superiority, and on 17 minutes, a shot was deflected into the path of Ade Cole, who hit a good shot past Adam Molloy to break the deadlock.


It was very nearly 2-0 on 25 minutes, when David Smith received the ball on the counterattack, skipping past Adam Molloy, before an exceptional tackle was put in by Jack Steventon at the very last moment to guide the ball away from goal. However, it didn't take long for Folkestone to double their advantage, as Molloy failed to collect a loose ball in the penalty area, which fell to Ibrahim Olatude, who played the ball into the feet of David Smith, who slotted the ball into an empty net. On the brink of half-time, things got worse for Tommy Warrilow's men, when Ibrahim Olatude received the ball on the right-hand side and guided his shot into the net to make it 3-0 at the break.


Chances were at a premium in the second half, however the hosts managed to capitalise on their opportunities. In the 69th minute, David Smith made a run with the ball into the box, hitting a pinpoint shot home for his second goal of the game. With just eight minutes remaining, Folkestone completed their five-star performance with a fifth goal, when Jordan Ababio hit a looping shot past a stationary Adam Molloy to further extend their lead. However, Jake Embery managed to score a late consolation for Hythe in the dying moments of the match, skipping past Invicta's backline and sending a shot past the Folkestone goalkeeper to give Hythe fans some positivity.


The full-time whistle blew soon afterwards, marking a difficult defeat for the Cannons at the hands of a deadly Folkestone Invicta side. The Cannons return to action on Tuesday 1st August as they travel to face another Isthmian League side in Hastings United, with the match kicking off at 7:45pm.


Starting lineup: Adam Molloy, Liam Smith, Ethan Smith, Jack Steventon, Lex Allan, Brad Schafer, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Jarred Trespaderne, Marcus Goldsmith, Jake Embery.


Substitutes: Sam Flisher, Aaron Barnes, Miles Cornwell, Ryan Godding



Match report by Tom Ellerby

Hythe Town 2-1 Kennington

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 22nd July 2023


Hythe emerged victorious on Saturday afternoon as they beat Kennington 2-1.


The match began with the visitors on top and the Cannons struggling to have a sustained period of possession. However, Steve Watt's men managed to get themselves into the game after about half an hour. On 28 minutes, a glancing header from Aaron Barnes from a corner was tipped over the bar by former Hythe stopper Joe Mant, before Charles Noyelle was through on goal three minutes later, hitting his shot just wide from close range. On 37 minutes, substitute Jake Embery was set free on the right-hand side and hit a shot from a tight angle, with Joe Mant diving to the floor to collect the ball. With just six minutes to go, Ethan Smith had an excellent opportunity as he was put one-on-one with Mant, however the keeper managed to deflect Smith's shot away to keep the game at 0-0.


It took just three minutes of the second half for the Cannons to gain an advantage. A shot goalwards was parried away by Joe Mant, allowing Johan Caney-Bryan to slot his shot into an open goal and give Hythe the lead. It was almost two on 57 minutes, as Charles Noyelle's cross from the left wing was recieved by Leo Vowles, who set up a shot for Jake Embery which was blazed over the crossbar. As the game drew to a close, the visitors managed to equalise, as Marcus Goldsmith was dispossessed by Ryan Philpott inside the penalty area, leaving the Kennington striker to hit his shot past an unprepared Adam Molloy to level the scores. However, the Cannons managed to retake the lead, as Sam Flisher squared the ball from the byline into the path of Duane Acheampong, who drove his shot into the back of the net.


Overall, Steve Watt's side will be happy to have taken a win, even if the performance wasn't perfect. Hythe fans will have to wait until the season starts for the Cannons to return to Reachfields, but pre-season is far from over, as Hythe are back in action on Tuesday evening away at Canterbury City, with the match kicking off at 7:45pm.


Lineup: Adam Molloy, Liam Smith, Leo Vowles, Charles Noyelle, Lex Allan, Jack Steventon, Ethan Smith, Marcus Goldsmith, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Aaron Barnes


Substitutes used: Jake Embery, Sam Flisher, Emmanuel Dasho, Jarred Trespaderne, Josh Stirman, Duane Acheampong Substitutes not used: Christopher Swift.


Goalscorers: Hythe Town - Johan Caney-Bryan (48 mins), Duane Acheampong (83 mins). Kennington - Ryan Philpott (81 mins)


Attendance: 100



Match report by Tom Ellerby

Rochester United 1 Hythe Town 1

Pre-Season Fixture

Tuesday 11th July 2023


The Cannons came away with a draw in their first away pre-season fixture.


They started the game with a number of youngsters looking to impress manager Steve Watt and they did themselves proud.


Hythe went ahead with their first real opportunity on nine minutes as Johan Caney-Bryan pulled the ball back across goal to find Ethan Smith who side footed home. The lead was only too last seven minutes as a breakaway found Rochester striker Harrison Hume who neatly finished to bring the scores level. The visitors were unlucky on 37 minutes as a Frannie Collin free-kick was played off to Oscar Webb whose long range shot brushed the top of the cross bar.


There were opportunities at both ends in the second half with the hosts denied by some great saves from Hythe keeper Adam Molloy. Eventually the game petered out into a 1-1 draw.


The Cannons will face tougher opposition on Saturday (15th July 2023) when they visit National League South Tonbridge Angels. Kick Off is 3pm.


Team: Adam Molly, Liam Smith, Leo Vowles, Jack Steventon, Harry Rowland, Jarred Trespaderne, Ethan Smith, Aaron Barnes, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Oscar Webb.  Subs Used: Josh Stirman, A Trialist, A Trialist, Josh Oluwafola, Jake Embery, Trialist, Luke Russell, Harry Miller. Sub Unused: Christopher Swift.


Scorers: Rochester United – Harrison Hume 16 mins. Hythe Town – Ethan Smith 9 mins.



Attendance: 80

Hythe Town 3 Lordwood 0

Pre-Season Friendly

Saturday 8th July 2023


Hythe took their first victory of pre-season on Saturday as they put three past Lordswood at Reachfields. The Cannons made just four changes from their draw against Faversham, with Luke Russell, Sam Flisher, Brad Schafer and Harry Miller all coming into the eleven, with a number of trialists starting on the bench. Lordswood's lineup contained one former Cannon, as James Jeffrey started up front having spent time with the club last season.


After just eight minutes, the Cannons gained the advantage through Liam Smith, who headed the ball towards goal as it evaded the Lordswood defence and trickled in. The lead was almost doubled on 28 minutes, as a Frannie Collin corner was nodded towards the top of the goal by Harry Miller, with Lords keeper Tom Crump tipping the ball over the bar. With ten minutes remaining of the half, the advantage was doubled through Johan Caney-Bryan, who ran onto the ball, rolling his shot past the onrushing goalkeeper. 


The Cannons began to make changes during the second half, and this allowed the visitors to get themselves back into the game, and their best chance came on 54 minutes, as Josh Reid fired a powerful shot towards the goal which went just wide of the post. However, Hythe continued to have opportunities, and on 71 minutes, Johan Caney-Bryan was brought down in the box, with the referee blowing the whistle for a penalty. Frannie Collin stepped up, slotting the ball into the middle of the goal to secure the victory.


The Cannons will be back in action on Tuesday night, as they travel to Rochester United at 7:45pm.


Team: Adam Molloy, Sam Flisher, Luke Russell, Liam Smith, Harry Miller, Jake Embery, Brad Schafer, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, Aaron Barnes, Jack Steventon


Substitutes used: Josh Stirman, Oscar Webb, Harry Rowland, Josh Oluwafola, Will Barber

Substitutes not used: Christopher Swift (GK)


Scorers: Hythe Town - Liam Smith 8 mins, Johan Caney-Bryan 35 mins, Farnnie Collin 71 mins (pen)




Match report by Tom Ellerby 

Hythe Town 0-0 Faversham Town

Pre-Season Friendly

Tuesday 4th July 2023


Hythe began their pre-season schedule on a rainy Tuesday evening at Reachfields, as they drew 0-0 with Faversham Town. The visitors, who were relegated from the Isthmian South-East Division the previous season, had strengthened adequately since the end of the 2022/23 campaign, with several big names from the South-East League stepping down a division to join Sammy Moore's side.


As far as Hythe were concerned, their lineup contained eight players from last season, with three retained players on the bench. New signings Aaron Barnes and Adam Molloy started the match, along with a trialist, with Christopher Swift, Oscar Webb, Daniel Lewis and a trialist getting their first taste of action for the Cannons, starting on the bench.


As the rain poured down and the pitch grew boggier, there were few major chances for either side. However, the Cannons had an opportunity on 27 minutes, as Johan Caney-Bryan was tackled just outside the box, with the ball drifting into the path of Sam Itauma, who layed it off to a trialist, with his shot going just wide of the post. Moments later, Hythe had their only other major chance of the half, as the same trialist fired another shot over the crossbar.


The weather began to calm down over the course of the second half, making it easier for both sides to play their usual style of football. On 58 minutes, Hythe came close to scoring when Charles Noyelle, who had signed for the club last season but failed to make an appearance, sent a looping cross into the path of Johan Caney-Bryan, which was headed onto the crossbar and was dealt with by the Faversham backline. The rest of the match contained very few chances, but the majority of possession was had by the visitors inside Hythe's half of the field.


The full-time whistle blew to mark the beginning of Steve Watt's side's season. Overall, the match was a quiet one, but there were very few bad words to be said for either team's performance. Hythe will be back in action at Reachfields on Saturday 8th July as they take on Lordswood at 3pm, as the Cannons look to take their first win of the 2023/24 season.


Team: Adam Molloy, Liam Smith, Morgan Williamson, Jack Steventon, Sam Itauma, Lex Allan, Charles Noyelle, Aaron Barnes, Johan Caney-Bryan, Frannie Collin, A Trialist


Used substitutes: A Trialist, Jarred Trespaderne, Josh Stirman, Oscar Webb, Harry Miller, Daniel Lewis


Unused substitutes: Christopher Swift (GK)



Attendance: 154

Report by Tom Ellerby